E303 Cam and 1.7 Rocker rollers | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

E303 Cam and 1.7 Rocker rollers

CDW6212R said:
A TransGo technician informed me that the 5R55W is still a derivitive of the A4LD.

I had thought that Ford would have built it with the strength capacity of the AOD, C4, and C6. Evidently, Ford tried to maintain the parts sizes as comparable to the 5R55E. Meaning that there are still inherent issues with strength.

Yeah the new 5R series trannies are crap compared to the 4R70w's in terms of strength. The only mods for it is a new input shaft from Lentech which should be released later next week. Even after that Len still said that these trannies will not be able to take any kind of big power. For me it is looking more like I will swap to a 4R70W and flash my PTEC with a manual tranny tune and then put a manual VB in the 4R. Then modify my column shifter to center floor shifter. Whew what a pain!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you hinting that the PCM can be changed, to eliminate the trans control?

I eventually will try again to get an AWD transfer case from the 3rd gen Explorers, for my 99 5R55E. I've been told that the PCM trans control is different between the years.
Don

CDW6212R said:
Are you hinting that the PCM can be changed, to eliminate the trans control?

I eventually will try again to get an AWD transfer case from the 3rd gen Explorers, for my 99 5R55E. I've been told that the PCM trans control is different between the years.
Don

Well I was refering to myself. But yeah. The PCM can be flashed so as to not have any auto tranny controls. Then it would be manual or auto with manual VB from there. The PCM is different from the 01 and older X's compared to the 02+ explorers. But both types of PCM's can be flashed so tuning should not be a problem.

CDW6212R said:
One of the PCM tuners has already suggested to me that I should add an FMU to get the vehicle to a dyno, for the PCM to be tuned. I hope to use the least amount of crutches as possible.

One of the Mustangs(1995 and down) weaknesses is its poorer driveability with boost, relative to an OBDII vehicle. I don't want an aftermarket boost retard ignition, FMU, etc.
Don

The FMU would be fine. But I would get a mailorder chip from whomever is going to tune your truck and then go in for a tune. It is not likely to matter anyways as long as you stay out of the boost then you can drive it prety safely untuned. I only reccommend that when going to the dyno only and not for like a week or two beforehand. lol. Either way most dynotuners offer a mailorder chip to get ya close and then you just come in ad hook up to the wideband A/F and dyno and see what it can tune for.

With the older stangs it may have been a speed density computer issue. I know before Ford went to Mass air metering systems that they had quite a few problems with those older systems.

I'm hoping to discover that my PCM can control a 2002+ 5R55E, which mates to the BW 4410 transfer case that I want. Or possibly a 2002+ PCM can operate the combination.
Day dreams...

CDW6212R said:
I'm hoping to discover that my PCM can control a 2002+ 5R55E, which mates to the BW 4410 transfer case that I want. Or possibly a 2002+ PCM can operate the combination.
Day dreams...

Sorry but that wont happen. The 02+ PCM s VERY different from the EEC-V computers of the older gens. One question. Is this 5R55E your talking of out of a 4 door 02+ explorer or a Sport?

The 2002 PCM is not compatible to the 01 and older system. The only way to kind of make it work would be to piggyback the two computer systems so one could take care of pat of the operation and the other take care of the rest, individually. VERY BIG PITA!!! Trust me I have looked this over time and again for my purposes of having a buildable tranny for my 03 X.

rocket 5979 said:
Sorry but that wont happen. The 02+ PCM s VERY different from the EEC-V computers of the older gens. One question. Is this 5R55E your talking of out of a 4 door 02+ explorer or a Sport?

The 2002 PCM is not compatible to the 01 and older system. The only way to kind of make it work would be to piggyback the two computer systems so one could take care of pat of the operation and the other take care of the rest, individually. VERY BIG PITA!!! Trust me I have looked this over time and again for my purposes of having a buildable tranny for my 03 X.

I see tons of the powerdyne superchargers on ebay in the mustang section for cheap. Could I get the rest of the kit for the explorer from this place and buy the charger off ebay?

compdoc777 said:
I see tons of the powerdyne superchargers on ebay in the mustang section for cheap. Could I get the rest of the kit for the explorer from this place and buy the charger off ebay?

I would reccommend against that as the front drive accessories are different between the 5.0 mustang and 5.0 explorer. And you dont know what kind of crap you will get off of ebay.

Back