• Register Today It's free!

E85

Explorer_Dave

Reaction score
City, State
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I was wondering if any of you have used E85 in your FFV Explorer? I came across the national E85 website and found this:

What is the range of a flexible fuel vehicle?

Response:

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline. However, E85 also has a much higher octane (ranging from 100 to 105) than gasoline. FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 10-15% drop in fuel economy. This will vary based on the way one drives, the air pressure in the tires, and additional driving conditions..

For comparison purposes, aggressive driving habits can result in a 20% loss and low tire pressure can reduce mileage by 6%. Research indicates Ford FFVs experience a 5% horsepower gain on E85. The range of any particular vehicle is dependent on the size of the fuel tank and driving habits. Current Ford Taurus FFVs have an 18-gallon fuel tank and will normally travel 350 miles between refuelings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from the previous post...

i saw that on their website as well, and was wondering that if you are soley going to use an ffv for E85, can it be "optimized"/tuned so that it eliminates the loss in gas mileage?

e85 question

if you are soley going to use an ffv for E85, can it be "optimized"/tuned so that it eliminates the loss in gas mileage?

whoknows said:
if you are soley going to use an ffv for E85, can it be "optimized"/tuned so that it eliminates the loss in gas mileage?
There is a economoy loss. But the vehicle automatically tunes for the proper fuel. Always try to run the tank below at least 1/4 of a tank before changing fuel. The big thing is finding E85. It's hard to do.

Just curious, and not that I could do this anyway because E85 is not sold anywhere in New England, but what would happen if say a 94 V6 Explorer were run on E85 without any modifications? What parts of the truck would get screwed up? Just curious, because with all this introduction of E85 there are many people out there that run Non-FFV.

Yes it will screw up you truck fuel line, tank, injectors to name a few.

snocross1985 said:
Just curious, and not that I could do this anyway because E85 is not sold anywhere in New England, but what would happen if say a 94 V6 Explorer were run on E85 without any modifications? What parts of the truck would get screwed up? Just curious, because with all this introduction of E85 there are many people out there that run Non-FFV.
Like he said. The fuel system is setup different etc. It'll destory your fuel system.

i believe it would ruin most of your fuel sysyem due to corrision...the lines werent made for e85 which corrode easily with water and it needs the especially made lines to avoid this...i think from all that i have heard. i wouldnt take the chance if not equipped. mine is made for e85 but u can convert...or just buy a car/truck that is already.

Whooo Hooo!
IL offers a rebate if you use E85 50% of the time or more. Somthing like $400 a calendar year. Next year I'm doing this.

Back