ebay HID conversion kit, really work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ebay HID conversion kit, really work?

yes, i searched, and found the thread about this very same thing, but didnt really get any insight on it. as some of you know (huskyfan) i got the diamond project headlights, and i need to align them, but i need something brighter than the stock lighting. i saw this, and wandered the pros and cons of it. now, i would ditch the blue bulbs, and go with some higher wattage slviyas, or something, im not very good at lighting. whats yall's opinions?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7906378443&category=33710

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see how those can be decent for $75, and they say HID "Look".

Just get sylvania silverstars, or higher wattage bulbs with an upgraded wiring harness.

ok, when you say higher wattage bulbs, what rating should i look for? where can i get them? and the upgraded wiring harness, is that the same one aldive did? what would be the best bulb for my application?

You can get the harness at: http://suvlights.tripod.com/suvlightscom/
You can get the high wattage bulbs at: www.midnightmoose.com
Yoy can also get Silverstars from most auto stores.
Only problem w/high wattage bulbs is the shorter lifespan, about half the usual.
I would think a harness and Extra vision or silverstars, if you like the "white" light would be the way to go.
IMO HID conversions in 9004 are glare monsters. You need to open the light body and put in a shield or you have to aim them so far down you might as well not have them. 9007 conversions arnt much better but they glare less. Those ebay (HID) are not HID. They just increase the voltage to some goofy blue bulbs.

I don't have that harness, but sure have heard some great things about it. It is something that I am seriously considering upgrading to in the future...

BBQ_HotDogs said:
I don't have that harness, but sure have heard some great things about it. It is something that I am seriously considering upgrading to in the future...

Its worth every cent; it was a great mod for me. The harness combined with SilverStars did the trick.

I actually bought the kit about a month ago and put it in. I also bought new lenses since i had the original ones from 95, and i put in silverstar bulbs. Overall it looks pretty good and does give you the HID effect. I'll have to get a picture of them on here sometime.

With the silverstars, procarparts lenses, and the harness, I'm sure you would have a killer combo. This is what I plan on doing sometime.........

That kit is not an HID kit...its fake. Go with the upgraded wiring harness or shell out the cash and get a real HID kit. You'll spend $400 or more, but IMO its worth it.

HID conversion is worthless if you have no way of guiding the light. I'm sure you see those Civics driving around with HID conversions, light glaring EVERYWHERE. I'd be willing to bet you'd be pulled over pretty quickly with soemthing like that. This auction is just bulbs with blue covers. I almost bought these a year ago thinking they were HID.

HIDs cost 200+ anything less is either stolen off an acura or audi or fake. I got mine on one og the group buys on here a few years ago for 400. I love them. Increased my output by twice, and the stock headlight casing dosen't have the glare effect mentioned above. I will be waiting on the dimond clear casings untill a few people (especially ones with HID conversions) report on how they turned out. I'mnot looking at "modding" my truck, but to increase light output for nightime driving.

The government banned the HIDs for all the vehicles that didnt come with them originally. They did this by stopping the manufactures of making any new bulbs. If you buy a true HID kit then you better stock up on the bulbs cause you wont find them soon.

Back