• Register Today It's free!

Eddie bauer Air suspension broken

ebickas22

Reaction score
City, State
New Hartford, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Eddie Bauer 97 XLT 5.0
So apparently my air shocks on my 98 Eddie Bauer do not work. I just bought the truck and they were not working when I got it. I dont know what is wrong with them and really dont know anything about the Air suspension systems. Is there any way I can just scrap the Air ride system and replace it with a regular set up? Or would I have to replace it with new air shocks Etc. Any help would be great.

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A lot of ARC units are removed when they break. Very expensive to replace compared to regular shocks and not much improvement in ride. Just get regular gas shocks for the truck. Disconnect the air pump and the ARC warning wires from the console message system. No special tools or parts needed.

IF you want to replace the ARC with new air suspension, monroe has a set of matching shocks. I think it's ballpark $300. The system also has the compressor and a sensor to check/replace if bad.

my gf's dad has the ARC its so freakin loud and sounds like the truck is farting, plus the shocks are really expensive

There should be a switch in the rear of the truck in the jack compartment that you can turn the ARC off

ya I have it turned off now, ya itl probly just be easier and cheaper like you said to jus disconnect it and get new some shocks

At least in my 98 Limited, the ARC controls the ride height. If you disable the system and just install standard shocks, loading a lot of stuff in the back will result in a weird posture and perhaps even scraping the curb with the rear of the truck. Guess some people handle this by installing stiffer springs or using a lift kit.
Unfortunately, the original Ford air shocks are no longer available. Motorcraft now sells the pricey Monroe-made replacement that someone already mentioned here. Rock has those for about $200 apiece. I recently installed those in the front and must advise that while they seem to work just as well, they are a lot more pain in the neck to install. First, the outside diameter is significantly larger, so it takes maneuvering the control arm to that one 'magic' spot that even allows you to get it in. More importantly, they have no flat surfaces to hold against rotation when you are torquing the nut. Their construction does not match the original Ford rubber 'cushions' and you have to use the Monroe hardware, which is much smaller in diameter and clearly inferior in quality. And finally, unlike the originals, they don't have the electrical control for stiffening the ride in off-road mode.

The rear shocks can be had for about $25 each still, from an eBay source who bought hundreds of them. None have the electrical firmness feature any more.

The front Monroe's are likely $150+ each. Most failures are from the shock rubber bladder, the air line connections(fixable), or the shocks wearing out like normal shocks.

Find your actual problem before making a decision.

I have a pair of OEM 98 front shocks, unknown mileage, look bad, one has the stud almost all gone(nut seized and broke the stud in the threads). I've kept them in case someone would take them as a temporary part, say $50 shipped.

I have the front air lines new in a box also, I ended up only creating a rear ARC system in my 99 Limited. Good luck,

Ya im gonna bring it in to the shop later this week and see what the actual problem is. Some one sugested if I was gonna go with regular shocks to put a 2inch leveling kit to make up for sag but Im not really sure I am kinda of noob when it comes to these things

The ARC vehicles have softer springs in them, front and back. You will have a little more trouble with bottoming out in back. The 4WD trucks got the stiffest springs, other than the ARC versions.

Alright, well i found a kit thats made to replace the ARC unit sepcific for the Explorer. My Mechanic told me about it. He said It comes with the new springs and shocks that bolts on. It was around 300 bucks. He said it was built to repace the unit without having the sag. Not sure if that would be an exact fix just going by what was told to me.

Alright, well i found a kit thats made to replace the ARC unit sepcific for the Explorer. My Mechanic told me about it. He said It comes with the new springs and shocks that bolts on. It was around 300 bucks. He said it was built to repace the unit without having the sag. Not sure if that would be an exact fix just going by what was told to me.
Make and part numbers?

I'm kinda in the same boat with my 98 EB AWD, except it looks as the they were all replaced before i had it? Mine has the air suspension, The back of the truck sits ok, even with a load or trailer, but the front sits low. It doesn't look right. Not sure if maybe the replaced ones are worn out too, or what, but they don't look like air shocks to me. I turn on the compressor and it makes noises but nothing happens.

I removed my ARC shocks, and disabled the compressor because of the price tag.

Replace your shocks with the load assist shocks, you can get them from rockauto, there's gabriel and monroe variant, get the monroes if you can afford them, they will lift the rear slightly, useful if you have a lot of things (weight) you carry with you.

Back