Eddie Bauer with No Power

K-bike

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco 2
Hi to all.
I currently have a 1989 Bronco 2 (Eddie Bauer package), with A/T trans. / 2.9 engine.
I purchased the vehicle approx. 2 years ago. It seemed to run pretty well, but about a year ago the heads cracked, leading to an engine replacement. This engine was supposed to have had the heads remachined, etc. and was pulled from a running Bronco that was rear-ended and totaled. I also replaced the distributor cap and plug wires on the new engine.
The new engine just never seemed to have the power it should have. After the replacement, I also had a "check engine" light start to appear. I figured that the cracked heads messed up the O2 sensor. I replaced it and later the catalytic converter. This took care of the engine light, but the engine still lacks power.
The engine appears to be getting a little worst now and I'm not sure what to do or where to look. It runs OK on the flats, but as soon as I start up any kind of up hill grade, it looses speed and downshifts. It has a slight hesitation when I pull out from a stop. Fuel mileage is also less than it should be. The engine seems to idle pretty well and I checked fuel rail pressure, which is good.
I have owned 2 other Bronco's, both with manual trans. and put over 200,000 on each. This is my first auto, so I have been wondering if it might be an issue. I have been replacing the trans. filter and fluids approx. every 30,000 since owning this vehicle. It had 110,000 when I got it. It now has 180,000. The fluid seems to be the correct color and does not have a burnt smell, so I still think the issue is engine related.
I connected a Actron CP9145 code scanner to test the engine, but no codes were found. My thoughts are possibly a problem with the EGR valve, or the air by-pass valve, but I don't have the money to just start replacing parts on a guess.
Any ideas or thoughts on this would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help,
K-bike

If you have not replaced those spark plug wires, then this is probably the culprit. Check a good reference book for the correct ohms reading for each particular length of wire. If the ohms are not within specs, trash them. Don't forget to check all other ignition components as well.
Even though the engine has been rebuilt, I would still take a compression reading also on each cylinder. Good Luck

One other thing, about the heads. On my sons Honda we had taken the head to supposedly a reputable machine shop. HA HA, after bolting on and starting engine, it had some misses. Took compression check and low and behold, compression sucked on some cylinders. I took the heads back off, turned them upside down, stuck an air hose into spark plug hole, filled combustion chamber with water. Gave it a shot of air and you guessed it, bubbles all around the valves. Had them redone again, but this time I told them I wanted to do the air thing before I took them home. No leaks the next time. I would suggest this little test to anyone before installing the heads. Might just save you a lot of time. Also to see if your getting what you paid for.

Please report back with any findings, and Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site.

Back