Effects of lowering? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Effects of lowering?

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Are there any lonmg term effects that result from lowering?

Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

can't keep girls away from you, and everyone else is jealous.

Originally posted by expo5.0
can't keep girls away from you, and everyone else is jealous.

ROFLMAO! when mine used to be that way i got looks all the time in the city and on the highway, people would approach me all the time about it, and it looked good. now that i have 4" of lift on it, i sill get looks, but they are more like crazy looks (they are prolly thinkin i am gonna roll it)

What spoiler do you have on the front of your truck? It looks great.

I'll answer for him, I believe he has the X-Spec front airdam from EExpress.

effects of lowering...I guess that would depend on how you did it. A half-assed lower job can ruin ball joints, shocks and other suspension components. I drove a slammed (using aftermarket spindles, springs and a c-notched frame), S-10 for years and had no problems...even after running hydraulics the last year I owned it. On the other hand, a lowered 63 Imapala I had kept breaking a front shock and wandered all over the road. The previous owner lowered it by cutting the old coils with a torch

My Mustang ride really low... The honest negatives are: I drag my headers constantly... It won't be headers for you, but don't be surprised if its something else. If I don't cut steep slopes at an angle, I drag my front spoiler. Plus, I have a hard time getting a floor jack under certain spots, and I have to jack it up to change the oil. Opinion-wise, I think trucks go up. Cars go down. But thats my opinion :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Arnold D.
effects of lowering...I guess that would depend on how you did it. A half-assed lower job can ruin ball joints, shocks and other suspension components. I drove a slammed (using aftermarket spindles, springs and a c-notched frame), S-10 for years and had no problems...even after running hydraulics the last year I owned it. On the other hand, a lowered 63 Imapala I had kept breaking a front shock and wandered all over the road. The previous owner lowered it by cutting the old coils with a torch

Yeah, I forgot mentioning that kind of thing. Usually you'll want new shocks when you lower a vehicle, the current shocks won't last too long. I don't like cutting springs whatsoever, especially with a torch, springs are tempered and the heat from the torch will adversely effect spring rate. Plus lowering springs are typically stiffer (my Mach has 620lb coils and 5 leafs; REALLY stiff) to curb bouncy-ness... I laugh when I see Hondas bouncing down the road 'cause you know they just cut their springs and have a suspension that is stock otherwise.

You'll have to get a good alignment after you get it lowered, it will really through it outta wack.

there are a ton of intelligent things being said here. but keep in mind that doing a torsion twist drop on an x shouldn't cause any early wear as long as it is aligned properly. most of the other problems only come into play when you have to take more drastic measures to lower the vehicle

If I did a torsion twist to lower the front about 3/4" to make it a little more even with the back what would that affect? Will I need an alignment? I want to lower it, but I dont want to go too low that I can't drive certain places. I figure lowering the front to match the sagging rear will make it look a little better. Which way do I turn the bolts and how far do you think they need to go for 3/4"??

i say go get 1" blocks and do the rear with those and do the front with a torsion twist to level it. a .75 in the front will need an alignment so you might as well just do the whole thing. also a 1 will allow you the freedom of being able to drive it wherever you want (within reason)

Al, I think it's time you just went ahead and diid it.
Doesnt hurt a thing. The ride is better. Handeling is better. No reason not to unless you gonna go boondocken.
Also I think I got 10 hp. and 2 more miles per gallon when I lowered mine. Seat of the pants, you know...

Damn, Bill, ya know I am gonna do it.... but ya also lmow I do my homework first.

Bill, you got any pics?

Attachments

• xfrontsideiii.jpg
    xfrontsideiii.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 334

nice ride

Dag bill, thats a nice lookin ride...:)

Looks nice Bill. The pics in the link didnt work. What kinda tires do you have? I bought the same rims but I dont have tires for them yet. I really like the 255/65/R16 Michelin 4X4 XPC's but they are over $200 each. I guess thats why you only see them on land rovers. :)

How about airbags? :confused: best of both worlds~!

Bill, you have convinced me to get a sportdan like yours. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm interested in the answer for 98fordX24, which way do you turn the bolts? Bought 2" blocks and waiting for reply so I can install.

ps nice pic of grn X.

Back