Egr problem driving me nuts please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Egr problem driving me nuts please help

dinks07

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac 2wd
Ok so i got a code p0401 i changed the dpfe valve and light came back on after 30 miles cleared it bamm back on got another dpfe valve same thing. I removed the egr valve, the egr tube, and cleaned out all the holes that could be clogged blew air threw the tube and on the intake manifold side nothing is clogged. bench tested the egr valve the pintal inside moves up and down as it should with vaccum and its not clogged either still having the same problem code p0401. the solonoid that provides the vaccum to the egr vlave is there vaccum on the egr the whole time or not? any help will be great thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its never the valve, 99% it is dpfe sensor. Aftermarket sensors are junk, I would only put new Ford dpfe which has been updated multiple times. It could be evr solenoid. You could ohm check the solenoid and see what the resistance is. If it is open it is bad, the spec is 10-40 ohms I believe.

when i put vacuum on the egr with the car running nothing changes it runs as if im not doing anything isnt it supposed to shut off or idle rough? Any help would be great thansk

Dinks... Swetrid is correct.... the EGR is mechanical...and codes are sent via electrical signals.. irregardless to if the EGR valve is working or not. so your question is kind of two fold.

1. Swetrid said the Dphe valve is the problem and replace it... do that and that should take care of the light.

2. EGR valve activation if working correctly does make the engine run rough at idle when you apply vacuum to it. IF you have no change.. something is clogged and not allowing it to open the exhaust gas into the engine, but it will not make the light come on.

I hope this answers the two questions you had.

well i had a little vaccum coming from the evr to the egr i hit the top of it a couple times and i got vaccum from it this was a week ago and i cleared the light been over 150 miles and it has noit come back on do you think the evr is going bad

Sounds like you have hit on the problem ......... pun intended.

Back