EGR SYSTEM REMOVE bad or good ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

EGR SYSTEM REMOVE bad or good ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You would start getting a check engine code. To get rid of it, you would need a screen tuner.
Why bother. Egr is only flowing exhaust gasses at cruise speeds. It actually helps mileage very slight. It's about the chemistry of the exhaust gasses actually cooling the charger combustion chamber. I'm not sure I completely believe it, but...

Not to mention if you have emissions testing...

bad!

The PCM disables the EGR at idle and at moderate to max engine loads so it causes no degradation in max engine performance. Besides reducing harmful emissions it reduces the combustion chamber temperatures extending the life of pistons, valves and spark plugs. Thirty years ago disabling the EGR made some performance improvements.

You would start getting a check engine code. To get rid of it, you would need a screen tuner.
Why bother. Egr is only flowing exhaust gasses at cruise speeds. It actually helps mileage very slight. It's about the chemistry of the exhaust gasses actually cooling the charger combustion chamber. I'm not sure I completely believe it, but...

Not to mention if you have emissions testing...

thanks mate! my reason is, i just need to look neath my engine bay as you know theres too many pipes and vacuum hoses...
i just like to remove it because for easy access if i need to repair things around engine bay...

The PCM disables the EGR at idle and at moderate to max engine loads so it causes no degradation in max engine performance. Besides reducing harmful emissions it reduces the combustion chamber temperatures extending the life of pistons, valves and spark plugs. Thirty years ago disabling the EGR made some performance improvements.

thanks! yeah old days i alway knew it will give you better performance....

I did everything I could to retain mine, but was having so many issues with my custom tubing, melting wires, melting vac hoses, etc I finally gave up and removed it.

Its a pain, but if it can do anything positive at all, why not keep it.

I too wanna clean up under the hood. I think I actually need a new one mine may be dirty or clogged. I decided its better for the engine to keep it ill just paint it chrome to look nice when I get the new one to match the Chrome headers I'm putting on soon

Back