EGR valve replacment | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oh and if you do buy new DO NOT USE DURALAST!!!!!! Buy straight from dealer cuz ive used the duralast ones before and they sucked. But the price is in some ranges of 140-120 i got mine for 122

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spillos
Have you ever ran seafoam or Zmax through your engine it helps to. It ceans out blockages you should try it

Hello all!

I have a '94 XLT with a CEL that has been on for some time now. I recently replaced the DPFE sensor with a duralast brand part from autozone. The CEL light went off after replacing the DPFE and it stayed off for about two weeks up until the other day the CEL came back on! This light has been driving me crazy for some time now and I am wondering if the autozone part may have been defective and/or I need to replace the actual egr valve itself. Should I only be replacing these parts with genuine motorcraft parts?

Does anyone know more?

Thanks

This is also why my CEL is on, P0401, when we had the cold days 30• and below, the light would never come on, but on the warmer days we've been having, it's always on. If I reset the code, it will stay out for a matter of a couple miles probably before it's back on.

I bought a Duralast EGR, bu never installed it due to seeing all the negative feedback for Duralast and EGR stuff.

Ive been told to "Seafoam" the EGR itself, but have no clue how todo that.

Since my CEL turns off when it's cold,does it sound like the EGR itself or the DPFE?

I have also read negative feedback regarding the duralast brand DPFE. I am going to take it back to autozone in hopes they will give me my money back and order a motorcraft one from the ford dealership.

It could be the actual valve itself, that is what I am starting to think the reason behind my CEL is. Also another thing to maybe consider checking is the EGR vacuum solenoid.

Hey i have a 2005 Ford Exlporer 4.0. I've looked at a lot of posts and i know my EGR valve is bad so i have to replace it i already have the part but not sure how to install it. I don't know if i have to take the intake off cuz it doesnt look like much room around where the bolts are located. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.
I have an '02 with a 4.0 V6

I replaced both the EGR and DPFE this afternoon.

The EGR is just a bit of a bear because it sits behind the throttle body. It's a little difficult to maneuver between it and the firewall. I removed the 4 self tapping screws holding the throttle body to the manifold (8mm) and the then the 2 bolts holding the EGR to the intake manifold (10mm) With the throttle body removed, you can get at the 1 1/16" nut connecting the exhaust manifold tube to the EGR. Just make sure you shoot everything up with WD40 or PB Blaster or something before. I did yesterday, and then again today before disassembling.

Assembly is just the reverse.

Got the DPFE at NAPA for about $48 PN2-22003. As noted, it just sits on top of the two tubes and has one electrical connector.

I disconnected the negative battery lead for about 5 minutes to reset the SES light, and then drove it for about 45 minutes. The SES light has not come back on. :thumbsup:

I have 2 codes on my 2005 ford explorer 4.0. They are P0403 and P0406. I replaced the EGR valve and reset the memory but i still have the fault codes. Plus my car starts up but shuts off right after it comes on. What is causing this?

EGR Valve my experiecne

First Post thought I would add to online community instead of always take. I change spark plugs, check engine light came on, the P0401 EGR insufficient flow came on as the code. I changed spark plugs because I noticed a decrease of MPG we usually got around 14 to 15 (it had dropped to 12) combined, plugs had about 137K on them, but really looked fine. Car ran generally fine besides some shuddering after high RPM coming to a stop..like on the highway.

Anyway replaced the EGR valve, car runs better and gas mileage immediately ticked back up to 14 to 15 range. I was skeptical of the valve being bad, because they should last a long time and mine was not too dirty and the recent spark plug change also made me skeptical. But if the code throws and you have the gas mileage symptom, I thought I'd share my experience so you feel better about spending the money and replacing the valve.

Rock Auto has it for $86, MotorCraft OE brand.

Back