2008 Explorer 4.0 V6 EGR valve replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Explorer 4.0 V6 EGR valve replacement

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 FordExplorer XLT 4WD
Greetings. I am the original owner of a 2008 Explorer with a 4.0 V6, 264,000.00 miles. I have had the engine light illuminate periodically over the past couple of month. Light would light-up then go out for a couple of weeks during this time. Advance Auto said the code was an EGR flow issue. I looked-up the repair and decided I would be in over my head in trying to replace the EGR valve.

I took the Explorer to a local mechanic shop and he replaced the EGR valve, re-set the computer codes and said the job was complete.

My wife and I drove to Detroit last weekend. Over four tanks of gas, there and back, I averaged a 2.4 MPG increase in fuel use.

Bottom line, if you replace your EGR valve, use a Ford replacement part, the aftermarket part has far lessor quality than the Ford part. Two issues in replacing the valve are unscrewing the EGR pipe from the exhaust manifold. Real hard to access and the pipe is rusted into the manifold. Also, the two bolts securing the valve to the engine. Heating these bolts with a torch can cause an issue with the plastic intake manifold.

Hope this helps anyone with an EGR issue.

Frank

Back