• Register Today It's free!

egr?

talincolnlsc

Reaction score
City, State
chicopee mass
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
i picked up my old 92 explorer last week. the kid i sold it to blew the trans up after a month and the ex sat for close to a year before i got it back for next to nothing. i replaced the trans a fired it up. now it runs really rough and has no power. it ran great before it sat. i pulled each plug wire one at a time and they all seemed to make the same difference. could it be the egr valve. from sitting, could it have stuck the egr? it kinda sounds like there is a vacume leak under the middle of the intake but i couldnt locate it. there isnt much under there. i also tried to locate the egr and i feel like a moron for saying it but i couldnt find it. what else could it be? any help would be appreciated

If your 92 is like my 92, it doesn't have an EGR. I think EGR was added in 93 or 94. If you suspect a vacuum leak around the intake manifold and you're sure its not at the vacuum tree back by the firewall, there is one more vacuum line to check. There is a canister purge vacuum line at the front of the manfold that goes to the charcoal canister vacuum solenoid. From the manifold there is a short vacuum line, then a right angle fitting which connects to a long vacuum line that runs down to the solenoid which "floats" (i.e. hangs by its hoses and electrical leads) down near the fender well liner.

Make sure the line isn't loose or broken at the manifold and that the plastic connections on the solenoid aren't broken.

Other vacuum noises at the manifold could be caused by a leaky gasket at the IAC valve.

Bob

If you hear a hissing sound, try pinching off each line one at a time at the vacuum tree. If you pinch a line and the hiss disappears then you've found the leaky line. Doing this helped me find a leaky line underneath the truck that goes to the transmission valve body.

Back