Electric Fan vs stock fan

Ponyman460

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT
I have a few questions concerning this:

1-approximately, what scfm would you say the stock fan puts out. I understand it varies with rpm, but I am trying to get a baseline.

2- if I were to buy an electric fan, what scfm would you reccomend? how big? what dimensions work best?

3- for those that have put elec fans in, did you use a thermostatic switch, or did you wire it key on? did you use any kind of relays etc?

4- lastly, what (if any) performance gains could I see? slightly better mpg? slightly better acceleration?

Just kicking around some ideas. any information is much appreciated!

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1IronMike said:
I did a search on Electric Fan and this is what I came up with, good reading.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156728&highlight=Electric+Fan

that helps, thanks. those articles talk mostly about the $300 fans you get from jegs or summit....I have an ebay fan in mind that is less then $50 and supposedly puts out 2900 cfm at 12 amp draw. how does that sound? also, it doesnt appear that the fans I am looking at have such a pronounced fan shroud on them....is that necessary?

I tried to put an E-fan in my first gen. Did not have any luck keeping it cool. I tried several combinations. there is really not enough room to put a big enough fan in!!

peties3 said:
I tried to put an E-fan in my first gen. Did not have any luck keeping it cool. I tried several combinations. there is really not enough room to put a big enough fan in!!

interesting...thanks

Rick, (Great pumpkin) also tried. I belive he tried the Black Magic one and it wasn't enough to keep his 1st gen cool in Az heat.

~Mark

I tried an E-Fan in my 94 and I didn't like it because it was too inconsistent and like everyone else, it just didn't cool enough.

I don't understand.?????

The e fan moves more aire than stock at idle and slow speeds.

I have done some searching today since I want to put in an electric fan too, and there are many reports of E-fans not working well with first gens. However, those seemed like they were in high heat areas (AZ) Right now I'm investigating a Taurus fan for my 93

ajr2000 said:
I have done some searching today since I want to put in an electric fan too, and there are many reports of E-fans not working well with first gens. However, those seemed like they were in high heat areas (AZ) Right now I'm investigating a Taurus fan for my 93

yeah, high heat here in S. Fl in the summer for sure! LMK if you come up with anything

i put a e-fan on my 94 it works for me here in nm

then why not give us a part #...?? how bout a part name...?? anything... throw us a bone man.. !!!!!!!

More that once I have heard about electric fans and cooling issues that were resolved with the use of a shroud (a must). You need to minimize the distance from the edge of the fan blade to the hole of the shroud. It is probably easier to make a new shroud out of sheet metal than to retrofit the stock one to hold a smaller diameter fan and cover the whole radiator. If the fan pull and equivalent amount of air as the stock mechanical fan you should have no issues. If all of that is met then maybe you need to move your controller sender, adjust your controller or buy a better one.

Ponyman460
What fan were you thinking of using?

I have tried several different electric fans and had no luck with my 1st gen. My rig is mainly for wheeling though.

More that once I have heard about electric fans and cooling issues that were resolved with the use of a shroud (a must). You need to minimize the distance from the edge of the fan blade to the hole of the shroud.

This is probably the most important otherwise the fan will simply draw heat away from the surface and not actually pull air through the radiator.

i was told the fan set up off a taurus worked great

Ditto Al's comment, I run less than 20mph average over a 3.5 hour day of work. I see highest temps of 200-205 each day so far.

Attachments

• Projectthread095.JPG
    Projectthread095.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 445
  • Projectthread089.jpg
    Projectthread089.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 440

Ditto Al's comment, I run less than 20mph average over a 3.5 hour day of work. I see highest temps of 200-205 each day so far.

Is that in the 4 liter or 5.0? I know the 5.0's dont have any trouble at all with electric fans.

That is my SOHC 4.0, the 302 uses the same radiator and shroud.

Attachments

• Projectthread090.JPG
    Projectthread090.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 458

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More that once I have heard about electric fans and cooling issues that were resolved with the use of a shroud (a must). You need to minimize the distance from the edge of the fan blade to the hole of the shroud. It is probably easier to make a new shroud out of sheet metal than to retrofit the stock one to hold a smaller diameter fan and cover the whole radiator. If the fan pull and equivalent amount of air as the stock mechanical fan you should have no issues. If all of that is met then maybe you need to move your controller sender, adjust your controller or buy a better one.

Ponyman460
What fan were you thinking of using?

bringing this one back.

I was thinking of an electric fan that I saw in the parts store....low profile and easy to install.

now that I am thinking about this again, I really want to get it going....it is hot as **** down here right now, and I think I could benenfit from it!

does anybody know the equialent cfm that the stock fan/clutch puts out so that I have something to base my decision on?

Back