• Register Today It's free!

install electric fan

redneck999

Reaction score
City, State
Oakwood, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
94XLT
Went to the u pull it and found an electric fan from a merc mark 8. Does any one have an idea how to wire this up? I dont have a controller so i will wire it to run with the ignition. Or would it be a better idea to get a pusher fan and run it in front in conjunction with the stock fan. Also as an idea while i was out i wondered if one wanted to run 2 fans why not get a twin fan setup from a dodge neon? they run independent of each other and they can be separated if you wanted to run one higher that the other all you would have to do is a little custom fab for a shroud. Just kicking around ideas!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a good idea. I've got some honda fans I plan to put on my truck. I would have the fans blow just like the oem one. Then there will never be a push/pull issue. As far as wiring it up, I would get a fuse/holder from advance auto and run it to a toggle switch or your ignition.

Given the amps that electric fans draw, wiring up a simple relay circuit might be a better bet than running wire from the batt, to inside the truck, and then back out to the fan. Heavier gauge wire is required, and there will be a voltage drop worth noting. The relay will let you run thin wire to the cab and also keep the fan power run very short, keeping the voltage drop to a minimum.

Also, there are aftermarket fan controllers available. I would think that it would be worth it, rather than constantly watching a temp gauge and toggling the fan on and off.

It seems that the experiences of others who have tried this is never good when the fan is mounted directly up against the radiator. That results in only a circular part of the center of the rad getting airflow. Making something or modifying the stock shroud so that the fan can blow through the entire surface area of the radiator will make it cool much better.

-Ted

You're right Ted, but cheap mods equal cheap results. I like cheap because I'm poor.:(

I added an electric fan to help cool the tranny (For towing). I installed a 2nd hi performance tranny cooler and installed the fan in front of the the stock tranny cooler.

I Installed an illuminated switch on the dash with 14 gauge wire and fuse. The switch turns on the fan and illuminates the temp gauge installed on the tranny line. :)

:salute:

Went to the u pull it and found an electric fan from a merc mark 8. Does any one have an idea how to wire this up? I dont have a controller so i will wire it to run with the ignition.

By all means use a fan controller.

Or would it be a better idea to get a pusher fan and run it in front in conjunction with the stock fan.

I recommend a puller. You are defeating the advantage(s) of an e fan if you also use a motor driven one.

Good luck ....

Do a controller, the constant on/off high amperage of full power of most OEM fans can be harmful to the alternator over time. Check your depth clearances, and good luck.

Finally finished it. Had to trim 1/2" of fan shroud off all way around and foam sealed it to mate to the radiator. The shroud covers all of the radiator up and down with about 1 in low at bottom, just had to fill it and with the shroud all the way to the drivers side of the rad it only leaves about 1 1/2'" of unshrouded rad on the pass side. 3 Wire setup, decided to go with dual relays for low and high. Went with a temp sender through the radiator and lasted 2 days, got rid of it and wired low to come on with engine and a separate switch for high, so far after 3 weeks I have yet to turn on the high fan in driving around town, I have used high with the air on in town. I am running a 185* thermo and so far the temp stays at 185*. I added a electric fan from a geo and placed it onfront of the cooler, same thing, put it on a switch so when i am towing just kick it on. Also added a 130 amp alt.

Good work, so you did use a Mark VIII fan? Did you by chance take accurate measurements of the thickness of the motor/fan? I'd like to know for sure what the distance is between the rear of the motor, and the front of the blades. The later 95-01 trucks have less than 4" of space to work with.

4 1/2 " thick from clip on the inside to the back cover.

Attachments

• IM000132.jpg
    IM000132.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 466
  • IM000131.jpg
    IM000131.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 452
  • IM000133.jpg
    IM000133.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 476

Thanks for the size measurement, I'll have to get a look at one still, plus the Taurus fans.

This one is the Taurus Fan. The other one cooked.

Attachments

• IM000130.jpg
    IM000130.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IM000134.jpg
    IM000134.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 459

Okay, gotcha. Thanks,

Back