Electric Fan vs stock fan | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan vs stock fan

Perma-cool has a 16" that pulls 2950 cfm. It has a low amp draw also. I also like them because you can bend a blade, but not break a blade. But if a blade is severely damaged you can buy it separately and the motor too. It would be great for off road if you like dipping your truck a bit. I don't know how durable a composite blade is hitting water at full speed?

I have the 16" Perma-cool (from ebay used) and and a 16" plastic one (form E-bay new) rated the same CFM. Their is No comparison. When tested perma-cool took off like a helicopter while the other fan made lots of noise.
I am trying to get my setup installed soon...yes a procrastinator..lol

BUT i have heard lots about the Ford Tauras fans. Get a Junkyard special for cheap and work with that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

should I mention that I am now trying to do this on my 1997 5.0L LOL!

BUT i have hear lots about the Ford Tauras fans. Get a Junkyard special for cheap and work with that.

I have just the right junk yard for that..will go there this weekend.

should I mention that I am now trying to do this on my 1997 5.0L LOL!

So you need all the cooling you can get. You have a big arse tranny and oil cooler too right?...lol

They will help supplement cooling

What fan did you see (specs)?

I don't think you should have issues if your set it up right with a full shroud. As aldive pointed out you will get more cooling at idle than a clutch fan.

So you need all the cooling you can get. You have a big arse tranny and oil cooler too right?...lol

They will help supplement cooling

What fan did you see (specs)?

I don't think you should have issues if your set it up right with a full shroud. As aldive pointed out you will get more cooling at idle than a clutch fan.

I will have to go back to get the specs. What would you say the min cfm I need? also, would the taurus dual fan setup work? I am inclined to pick that up, and wire it up 1 speed instead of 2....HIGH lol

I will have to go back to get the specs. What would you say the min cfm I need? also, would the taurus dual fan setup work? I am inclined to pick that up, and wire it up 1 speed instead of 2....HIGH lol

I don't know what a 5.0 would require, but I would say if you get a dual setup you may have more than enough cooling. If they were only 2500 cfm your already at 5000cfm with 2. What controller will you use? I don't know if the Taurus dual setup would fit, but should work no problem with controller. The spal controller can run 2 fans the only thing extra you would need is an extra relay.

I don't know what a 5.0 would require, but I would say if you get a dual setup you may have more than enough cooling. If they were only 2500 cfm your already at 5000cfm with 2. What controller will you use? I don't know if the Taurus dual setup would fit, but should work no problem with controller. The spal controller can run 2 fans the only thing extra you would need is an extra relay.

can you give me a link to that controller bro? thanks for the quick replies!

FYI, the thickness of the fan motor and the fan blades is the hardest issue. There is less than 4" of space for a fan, so measure before you buy.

The fan controller is the second big key, you need to plan for a controller that will work well. The DC Controls and Spal unit both are made to work very well with the stock alternator and electrical system.
I'm sure that the Spal stuff can be had in many power levels also. My controller is more than enough for my one fan, and it cools great. As I've mentioned, I plan to build one for my V8 with a Ford fan, hopefully the Taurus fan is narrow enough.

If you use lesser controllers the instant on will be hard on the alternator and other circuits, and the 1 or 2 speed setting will be important. If you use a progressive controller, then simply wire the fan for it's highest speed only. Skip any low speed wiring, it's unnecessary. Post any pictures as you take them.

The CFM question, I don't know what the OEM is, that isn't public information. But I know that the Black Magic 150 is barely enough, so find the rating for that and try to go beyond it. I have an original Black Magic fan still new, but this wasn't the best use of it. Regards,

Back