• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fans??

5.0 POWER

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Eddie Bauer
Just wanted to know who has an electric fan out there? what kind of power increases did you get?? How much you spend?? Where did you get it?? I have heard that the produce anywhere from 10-20 ponies and maybe a slight difference in mpg. And we all know that the 5.0's suck gas like crazy. (my average is about 12.7 no matter if i drive hard or soft) thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a e fan and I took it off a taurus sho and adapted it to fit on my truck, dunno if it would suck enough air for your application though. I've only had 1 problem with it and that was when I was going 8mph up a 10% + grade for over a mile.

yeah i dont know why i am getting such bad gas milage. I have fms headers, 2 cats and duals, CAI, and i am currently working on the phenolic spacer. The car has been tuned using a hypertech power programer. It always seems to be running rich though. I will have to hook it up to a scanner and ask my brother about it, since he was the previous owner and has done who knows what to it. But anyways i was just looking around at other ex's electric fans. Does anyone know the CFM rating of the stock mechanical fan??

Go back to a stock program, and see if your mileage goes up.

Ryan

The power programmer can kill mileage- my Superchips kills mine. An off the shelf tuner just isn't efficient enough for me, I will be getting a real tuner from James Henson soon. Try the stock tune and 87, I'll bet your mileage will go up.

The power programmer can kill mileage- my Superchips kills mine. An off the shelf tuner just isn't efficient enough for me, I will be getting a real tuner from James Henson soon. Try the stock tune and 87, I'll bet your mileage will go up.

I agree, I'm guessing it's the chip. Is the Hypertech tuned for 91 or 93 octane and are you using it?

As far as an E fan goes, I've seen a few use Taurus fans and they seem to have moderate success with them. A few have used Black Magic fans and had success with them as well. I have seen several mustangs and other applications that did not have so much success with Black Magic fans though.

yeah i dont know why i am getting such bad gas milage. I have fms headers, 2 cats and duals, CAI, and i am currently working on the phenolic spacer. The car has been tuned using a hypertech power programer. It always seems to be running rich though. I will have to hook it up to a scanner and ask my brother about it, since he was the previous owner and has done who knows what to it. But anyways i was just looking around at other ex's electric fans. Does anyone know the CFM rating of the stock mechanical fan??
I was dissapointed with the butt dyno and No MPG increase with my e-fan. I am extremely pleased with the operation of the fan. I have a Black Magic 180, which I might add has a new style control. Up to date the unit has worked flawless. Strangely enough the hypertech programmer generally leans the mixture to increase hp and torque on a stock vehicle. That is the reason why they aren't the ideal tuner for bolts on's. I bet if you logged the vehicle you would find the fuel trims lean and the long terms compensating for the condition adding a buttload of fuel thus creating the condition you speak of. I have been known to have to increase the fueling for a cold air kit as much as 10% on certain intakes. After installation of the intake the customer complained of poor fuel economy. After they came to me for tuning I mentioned I would increase fueling to correct for the lean condition. Initially they thought just because I was increasing fueling they would automatically get worse fuel economy. Not necessarily. Having the tune perfect for a cruise would actually use less fuel because there was less correction by the long term trims thus less correction in the computer yielded a more precise fuel delivery and ultimately better fuel economy. Will everyone be rewarded with better fuel economy? I cannot answer that. Each vehicle reacts differently.

I agree, I'm guessing it's the chip. Is the Hypertech tuned for 91 or 93 octane and are you using it?
I would remove the chip, unplug the battery to "erase" any learned trims. BTW-how long has it been since the thread starter cleaned the MAF? This would be very important as well. A soiled or slightly soiled MAF will cause all kinds of hell.-

well i worked on it a today for about 2 hours. I took out the spacer because it wasn't running good with it in there. I found that the gasket included in the kit was busted and there were shure signs of a leak at the 2 rear runners( where the gasket was busted). I must have been too eager to put it in that i broke the gasket. Now that it is back to stock it runs fine. I will have to get another gasket and then the spacer is going back in.

I noticed alot of gain with my E-fan above 3k. You need a fan that does at least 2500CFM if not more.

BTW my mounty gets 16 hwy if I am easy on it and 12 in the city.

Back