• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan

The_Driller

Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4x4
Have any of you done an electric fan mod to a 96? If so which ones have you used? I heard something about a 93-95 Taurus Fan working but I am not sure if it works on the 4.0 OHV motor. Anyone have any info on how they did the mod or how well it worked after would be greatly appreciated. Looking to squeeze some more power out of the old 4.0 for low costs. Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is a good place to start. It's not the style Brooklyn is talking about, but it's a whole lot better. They even make these with an idler so you can retain your current belt set up.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...94838996+4294822055+4294908331+115+4294840126

If I understand what Brooklyn is trying to describe, we used to use those in our race cars all the time. (drag racers) I wouldn't recommend those for street use. They just aren't robust enough for continual use nor do they turn fast enough to flow enough water for stop and go driving.

I been thinking of this too seeing as to how its helped contribute some to aldives gas mileage even though his is the SOHC, just haven't read much on the installation with belts and everything. I think I'll go with aftermarket though not one from a car.

Here is a nice how-to on the Taurus fan install. One thing to keep in mind is that there is very little room between the water pump pulley and the rad on the OHV 4.0.

Just make sure it'll fit before you rip everything out.

www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/02/electricfan/index.php

You can get Taurus fans for $20-$40 from most local junk yards. I got mine for $20. You need one from a 3.8L V6 model. You can also use one from a Mk8 4.6DOHC but they are harder to come by and more expensive. the Mk8 fans are supposed to push like 5000cfm where as the Taurus 3.8 only pushes around 4000cfm. Still, a comprable cfm black magic unit will cost you $250 or more.

There is a good write up here for the SOHC V6 with a Taurus fan.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/EFanInstall.pdf

Will I have to upgrade my Alternator to do this mod?

What ever comes stock.

The Taurus fan requires grinding of the nipple on the water pump to fit the fan. I chose to use a Taurus sho's fan which is a dual fan setup and is much slimmer. I completely replaced the shroud with a custom made metal shroud. It ain't pretty but it works.

pics?

:ttiwwp:
The Taurus fan requires grinding of the nipple on the water pump to fit the fan. I chose to use a Taurus sho's fan which is a dual fan setup and is much slimmer. I completely replaced the shroud with a custom made metal shroud. It ain't pretty but it works.

I'll get some actual good pictures tomorrow. I want to rebuild it and make it more sturdy then it currently is...just basically make it better now that I have access to some better tools and have gained ability since I built that.

Attachments

• DSC00734e.jpg
    DSC00734e.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 262

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Brooklyn...that is the pump drive set up I would not recommend for street use. Also, you would have to come up with some other set up for your serpentine fan belt routing since you wouldn't be able to keep the factory routing. If you use one fo the pumps I linked, you can get one that has an idler where the water pump pulley would be and still utilize the factory belt routing. Also, you can get some very killer pumps with that style. Just depends on how much you want to spend. There were some longevity issues when these pumps first came out, but they seem to have that handled now.

Back