Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park

Yeah - if you are outside of the vehicle then it's very obvious. It sounds like the landing gear are coming down.
There is absolutely nothing subtle about it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The parking brake computer "band-aid" is to prevent rollaways if the rear sub-frame bolt breaks. My parking brake has a whine sound when engaged. "Landing gear" whine is a good description. I had the band-aid done on my per recall. I've not noticed automatic engagement, but I did notice the whine isn't there when I set the brake. Sure hope the replacement bolt comes in before July. We have a 2,600 mile road trip scheduled.

im pretty sure you can just type multiple vehicles, no? i swear ive seen multiple ehicles before. and anyways i just typed in 1998 XLT 4X4 in mine, so i dont see why one cant type 07 4.6 and 22 timberline... maybe im forgetting something? ;)
It will only take about 25 characters. You'd have to truncate the text so much, it would be a head-scratcher to figure out "20 Expl Ltd 15 Mu EB"

The parking brake computer "band-aid" is to prevent rollaways if the rear sub-frame bolt breaks. My parking brake has a whine sound when engaged. "Landing gear" whine is a good description. I had the band-aid done on my per recall. I've not noticed automatic engagement, but I did notice the whine isn't there when I set the brake. Sure hope the replacement bolt comes in before July. We have a 2,600 mile road trip scheduled.
According to Ford, there is no intention to replace/add an additional bolt until it actually breaks. They will be proactively fixing the actual issue for Police Inteceptors only but not until later this year.

EBB69D4D-626C-4F49-81E9-31E63E10F9E2.jpeg 409820-06ec15f55a97723ea218185e2bb6ef8e (1).png

It’s problem after problem with these. We’ve sent ours in 5 times for the blue screen while backing up, automatically applying brakes while reversing, then the flex pipe, then the bolt that can break. 13 recalls. I think we’ll go look at new cars this week.

It’s problem after problem with these. We’ve sent ours in 5 times for the blue screen while backing up, automatically applying brakes while reversing, then the flex pipe, then the bolt that can break. 13 recalls. I think we’ll go look at new cars this week.
Did they replace the camera? When was it (situation) that the auto brakes were applied?

Peter

Here is what the 2022 Manual says;

The electric parking brake could apply
when you shift to park (P) without the
brake pedal fully pressed. The electric
parking brake applies when you shift to
park (P) on large slopes. The electric
parking brake releases with the drive away
release function or manually

I didn't find anything indicating that going into Park would automatically engage the electric parking brake. It seems that it may if the brake pedal isn't fully depressed when selecting Park.

EDIT: Since merging the other thread on this topic, it appears it is a new software "fix".

Peter
I can confirm the PCM update is available. :D

I’m not a fan because I hate having to press the accelerator or the button to make my car go backwards or roll out of a parking space.

I suppose I will get used to it, but it’s less than ideal.
Im curious as to why Police Interceptors get updated driveshafts and we get the software. Police or citizen, we all put our vehicles in park the same way.

Did they replace the camera? When was it (situation) that the auto brakes were applied?

Peter
They did replace it. After it happened again, we took it in for a software fix. The other times we didn’t even bother asking. It still does it. There is no reason that the brakes automatically apply. When I click it into reverse it says auto reverse assist not available or something similar. I’d say 1 in 10 times when I back out of my clear 60’ driveway, it applies the brake. We had to get the whole downpipe replaced after the rattle evolved into an exhaust leak even with their worm clamp “fix” I’m a VW guy and have less problems on those. Shoot, even my VW race car has less issues.

These all appear to be software-related issues. I've only had the reverse brake engage one time and thankfully it did or I would have backed into another car. I became too preoccupied with watching the side mirrors. It actually stopped so suddenly I thought I had hit the car but upon getting out and checking, there was no sign of contact and there was still some space between the two.

Peter

Im curious as to why Police Interceptors get updated driveshafts and we get the software. Police or citizen, we all put our vehicles in park the same way.
It has to do with the extra torque put on the drive train. Police obviously use their vehicles more aggressively with frequent hard acceleration. One bolt would most likely fracture under those conditions. And Ford is just doing a CYA to avoid having to recall so many vehicles to replace those subframes. The fix doesn't fix anything - it's just a band aid.

These all appear to be software-related issues. I've only had the reverse brake engage one time and thankfully it did or I would have backed into another car. I became too preoccupied with watching the side mirrors. It actually stopped so suddenly I thought I had hit the car but upon getting out and checking, there was no sign of contact and there was still some space between the two.

Peter
This just happened to me in my driveway LOL!

Long story short. Got a new 22 ST to replace my 20 ST. Drove it for about 700 miles and the transmission trashed itself. Quite the surprise as I had driven it really easy and have no mods. Symptoms were hard downshifts, particularly from 6 to 7 gear.

Dealer tried to replace valve body to no avail, but upon further review found metal parts in pan and replaced whole transmission.

Immediately upon getting my Explorer back after nearly 4 weeks I noticed that every time I shifted into park the parking brake was automatically applied.

After a short discussion with the dealer it was learned that this new transmission had the “recall fix” applied.

The parking brake will stay on until you shift into gear and either press the button or gas pedal.

I expect this change will becoming to all recalled Explorers in the next few months.
What caused the transmission fail at 700 miles?

Saw this You Tube video from a Chicago area Master Mechanic discussing the issue/situation.

The only question I have after watching the video concerns the release of the parking brake. He mentions that you will have to manually release the brake but the manual states that it should release when you begin to accelerate. Does this software update change that?

Peter

We bought it Friday and it had 4 miles on it so it is brand new. Build date of 4/22
Hey! Same built date for me, hello factory sibling. Bought mine new a few weeks ago (5/4), brand new 22 Explorer XLT. Can confirm the same thing. Been looking over the internet for how to disable but sounds like that’s not possible. Very annoying as I am someone who likes to throw my car into Park if I get stopped at a red light I know I will be stopped at for a while. Makes it annoying to do this, as getting back into Drive then means you have to shift into drive then move your hand to the E-Brake button and disengage that before accelerating. I guess per the above you can just shift to Drive and accelerate and it will automatically disengage the E-Brake? Little hesitant to try that, at least in traffic.

Hey! Same built date for me, hello factory sibling. Bought mine new a few weeks ago (5/4), brand new 22 Explorer XLT. Can confirm the same thing. Been looking over the internet for how to disable but sounds like that’s not possible. Very annoying as I am someone who likes to throw my car into Park if I get stopped at a red light I know I will be stopped at for a while. Makes it annoying to do this, as getting back into Drive then means you have to shift into drive then move your hand to the E-Brake button and disengage that before accelerating. I guess per the above you can just shift to Drive and accelerate and it will automatically disengage the E-Brake? Little hesitant to try that, at least in traffic.
maybe try it first on an open road, and if that works, then cool! i wonder if its kind of jerky, or does it disengage fast enough where you wouldnt notice it any... let me know!

This is why I love the auto-hold feature! This is my first vehicle with that and I really appreciate it in traffic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Have you tried just accelerating after the parking brake engaged to see if it will disengage? The manual says you can after shutting the door. I was just wondering if you could without having to open/shut the door.
I missed the part about having to close the door in my previous reply above.

Peter

Back