Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park

From what I have gathered in reading this thread and another one is that no one that has had the software update done has verified that the feature still works the same way as before the update.

Peter

FWIW: I had my 22 XLT in for Rear Axle recall + replacing tail light, and this behavior of Parking Brake enabled when going into Park is new and annoying.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe I'm missing something but why would it be annoying? It engages when you go into Park and disengages when you start to drive.

Peter

Maybe I'm missing something but why would it be annoying? It engages when you go into Park and disengages when you start to drive.

Peter

The annoying part is the extra motion caused by by the Parking Brake release to forward motion. It's almost jumpy and I don't like it. I believe it's been added to the failure of being in park and somehow slipping out of park (some upcoming recall?)

Now the AutoHold (at light, holding brake) with a bit of accelerating for forward movement doesn't have the same jump at that the cold start + parking brake release does.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

Granted ... I understand it's point prior to the recall fix, doesn't mean I like it. =)

Now the AutoHold (at light, holding brake) with a bit of accelerating for forward movement doesn't have the same jump at that the cold start + parking brake release does.

I've turned the Auto Hold OFF because I find it too intrusive. As for the jump when the brake is ON, I can't say I've noticed it but then I rarely use the parking brake. I'll have to try and remember that the next time I drive.

Peter

I have no issue with the auto-parking brake (PB) and this thread and the thousand other posts in others or in FB groups just shows how few people use the PB on a regular basis..... shocking actually how few seem to use the PB

When you live in a place that's so flat you could watch your dog walk away for 2 weeks ... who need a PB? =)

I get it but less strain on the trans (the roll back and forth) or if someone bumps/hits your vehicle.... extra protection from rolling.

I've turned the Auto Hold OFF because I find it too intrusive. As for the jump when the brake is ON, I can't say I've noticed it but then I rarely use the parking brake. I'll have to try and remember that the next time I drive.

Peter
I absolutely love auto-hold with all the traffic lights and stop and go traffic we have in my area. The only problem is remembering when you drive another car that you don't have that feature and have to keep your foot on the brake! LOL

I absolutely love auto-hold with all the traffic lights and stop and go traffic we have in my area. The only problem is remembering when you drive another car that you don't have that feature and have to keep your foot on the brake! LOL
EXACTLY!! Our Forester doesn't have it and it is missed in traffic

Peter
Okay, I tried the parking brake 'thing' and did not experience any "jump" at all. In fact, starting to drive with the parking brake in the ON position didn't feel any different than going from Park to Drive. I tested it half a dozen times and each was the same.

Peter

not sure how this is built in being the software isn't available yet and it's the software that causes the E-Brake to engage upon putting it in Park.

not sure how this is built in being the software isn't available yet and it's the software that causes the E-Brake to engage upon putting it in Park.

Several members have already had their vehicles updated with the software by the dealer so it is available.

Peter

Just picked up my new 22 explorer and am completely annoyed by this "feature". This is dangerous. If I'm parked in a tight space, the car lurches or jumps and I need to hit the brakes to make sure I don't hit any nearby obstacles. I've spent hours trying to figure out why it was acting like this. I thought it was the auto-hold feature. Finally figured out it's the auto parking break and turning off the parking break before putting the vehicle in gear allows me to safely move from a stationary position. But, it appears this "feature" cannot be disabled permanently in settings and resets every time the vehicle is placed back into park. This is why there is a parking break control in the car. So when I *decide* to use the parking break, I can. This must be to appease NTHSA, but please Ford, give us a way to deactivate this poor solution.

There’s something wrong with your vehicle if it lurches or jumps, when I shift my 2020 Explorer Limited from Park to drive with the emergency brake on then give it gas The emergency brake release is and it is smooth no lurching or jumping at all. You definitely have something wrong with your vehicle.

Just picked up my new 22 explorer and am completely annoyed by this "feature". This is dangerous. If I'm parked in a tight space, the car lurches or jumps and I need to hit the brakes to make sure I don't hit any nearby obstacles. I've spent hours trying to figure out why it was acting like this. I thought it was the auto-hold feature. Finally figured out it's the auto parking break and turning off the parking break before putting the vehicle in gear allows me to safely move from a stationary position. But, it appears this "feature" cannot be disabled permanently in settings and resets every time the vehicle is placed back into park. This is why there is a parking break control in the car. So when I *decide* to use the parking break, I can. This must be to appease NTHSA, but please Ford, give us a way to deactivate this poor solution.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There is nothing dangerous about this feature. As RickG mentioned, the vehicle shouldn't lurch or jump. His doesn't and mine doesn't either.
If it is really that much of a concern for you, then simply disengage the Parking Brake manually before putting the vehicle in gear.

Peter

There is nothing dangerous about this feature. As RickG mentioned, the vehicle shouldn't lurch or jump. His doesn't and mine doesn't either.
If it is really that much of a concern for you, then simply disengage the Parking Brake manually before putting the vehicle in gear.

Peter
Will the parking brake disengage before putting it in gear or would in need to be done after putting it in gear? I don't have the update so just wondering how it does work.

The parking brake disengages after putting it in gear and pressing the accelerator

Will the parking brake disengage before putting it in gear or would in need to be done after putting it in gear? I don't have the update so just wondering how it does work.
I don't have the feature either Dale but I'm guessing that you could manually disable it before putting it in gear but it won't do it automatically.
FWIW, I set the brake today while stopping at a store. When I came out, I put the vehicle in reverse and backed up without any hesitation. You never would have known that the parking brake had been engaged.

Peter

then thats why it may have that new software on it that does that! i think its quite a new thing, only seen it once elsewhere so far, so super cool! looks like it will be finding its way into other X's!!!!

After reading a few releases from Ford I believe they're going to push a re-call/over the air software update for it around the Q4 time. There was an issue with the newer models so they implemented the auto-park brake as a temporary fix while they work on the appropriate update/recall.

Source: I'm a Ford Sales Associate and just dealt with this when delivering a 2022 Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After reading a few releases from Ford I believe they're going to push a re-call/over the air software update for it around the Q4 time. There was an issue with the newer models so they implemented the auto-park brake as a temporary fix while they work on the appropriate update/recall.

Source: I'm a Ford Sales Associate and just dealt with this when delivering a 2022 Explorer.
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back