• Register Today It's free!

Electric window problems

killerguppy66

Reaction score
City, State
Benson, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all. I am having recurring problems with the window mounts on the regulator. The adhesive that secures the glass into the track mount keeps coming free of the glass.

I spoke with a body man and he told me to remove the glass and clean it thoroughly. Remove the two mounts from the track and clean any remaining adhesive from said mounts. When this was done apply masking tape to the bottom edge of the glass and reinstall it. Next fill the mounts with some 3M structural adhesive, 08101.

At this point the mounts are affixed to the track and the regulator ran up to secure the window. Let it dry for at least 8 hours, I think, and away you go. At least three times I have done this. The last time lasted for about 6 months. I'm doing it again. Does any one have an idea of what I'm doing wrong? I'm getting a.bit frustrated! Any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've only had one Mountaineer that managed to pull the glass free of the regulator. It came loose of the rear clamp. I think this may have been caused by a speaker the PO had installed in the door, but I'm not sure. I cleaned up the glass and the clamp, applied some 3M yellow weather stripping adhesive to the clamp, reinserted the glass, rolled the window up and let it set for 24 hours. It hasn't given me any trouble since.

I have 2 other vehicles that have had driver's side window problems where the glass hangs up in the rear channel when going down. If forced, this could pull the glass out of the regulator. I believe this is due to wear in the regulator and dirt in the window channels. I find that a good spraying of the glass channels (particularly the rear channel) with Liquid Wrench brand silicon spray keeps everything moving smoothly.

Thanks for the reply, koda2000. I am beginning to think that I may have some other underlying issue. I did replace the regulator, which is when all of this started. I'm pretty sure that I installed it correctly. The clamps did not come with the regulator. Again, I'm pretty sure that the clamps were installed in the correct location. No info about that the Haynes manual though.

I believe that the glass can slide fore and aft on the regulator, so exact location of the clamp on the glass isn't critical. Excess movement of the glass fore and aft within the channels causes drag because the rear channel (and the shape of the glass) is longer in the rear than in the front. This drag tends to make the rear of the window lift up when going down. This, in turn, pulls the glass from the clamp and can **** the glass in the channels. Adjusting the channels and keeping them well lubed seems to correct the problem.

Ah. I gotcha. I'll lube it when I fix it. Again. I did get some yellow 3M adhesive today. We'll give that a shot. Thanks for the info.

Back