• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Fire in Platinum

SubaSue

Reaction score
City, State
Napa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum Silver
Yesterday I went to start my Explorer, it stated “No Keys Detected” then nothing, seem like battery was dead. I used it last week, I knew it was in battery saving mode. My dashboard was blinking all sorts of messages and when I got out of the vehicle, the alarm went off, lights were blinking inside and out. I couldn’t lock, unlock or shut off anything. I got back in and put my foot on the brake an attempted another start, it shut everything off except the outside lights were flashing and it started a fire under the hood, it was smoking pretty badly that I pondered calling the fire dept. since it was in my driveway close to the house. After being towed to the dealership they informed me that “they’ve never seen anything like this” it was still smoking when it arrived. Today, they tell me my battery is dead and they can’t jump it. They will install a new battery. They also stated that they “logged into Ford to see if anyone has experienced this and nobody has, that they need to reprogram my computer and reset my modules and hopefully I’ll be okay.” My dealership stated I might need to get a Solar Battery Trickle Charger to keep my battery charged, otherwise if I don’t use it every three days I will have a dead battery. No place to go during a Statewide Lockdown. This is my third Explorer and I’ve never had this problem before. Anyone else? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yesterday I went to start my Explorer, it stated “No Keys Detected” then nothing, seem like battery was dead. I used it last week, I knew it was in battery saving mode. My dashboard was blinking all sorts of messages and when I got out of the vehicle, the alarm went off, lights were blinking inside and out. I couldn’t lock, unlock or shut off anything. I got back in and put my foot on the brake an attempted another start, it shut everything off except the outside lights were flashing and it started a fire under the hood, it was smoking pretty badly that I pondered calling the fire dept. since it was in my driveway close to the house. After being towed to the dealership they informed me that “they’ve never seen anything like this” it was still smoking when it arrived. Today, they tell me my battery is dead and they can’t jump it. They will install a new battery. They also stated that they “logged into Ford to see if anyone has experienced this and nobody has, that they need to reprogram my computer and reset my modules and hopefully I’ll be okay.” My dealership stated I might need to get a Solar Battery Trickle Charger to keep my battery charged, otherwise if I don’t use it every three days I will have a dead battery. No place to go during a Statewide Lockdown. This is my third Explorer and I’ve never had this problem before. Anyone else? Thanks
THIS is the reason why I found a NEW Gen 5...I've heard of 3 other fires like this in 2020s

THIS is the reason why I found a NEW Gen 5...I've heard of 3 other fires like this in 2020s
Link's?

In 18 months, haven't heard or seen 1 on this forum.

You should be good for 14 days no problem. There is a software update for the battery saver message that yours may need. Flickering lights has been reported with bad batteries. Sounds like you had smoke but not a fire from your post.

AGM batteries can fail and sulfate, I had it happen to me. They will actually get hot, bulge, steam, reek of sulfur, etc. Did you notice any strong rotten egg smell?

Always call the fire dept if there is smoke and or fire, do not open the hood, you don't know the outcome, and better to be safe. Second point, once you make the call to the Fire Department your insurance takes over getting your car repaired. They will do the reporting to the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). Please forgive me if this response sounds a little rough

I would love some confirmation on this fluid recommendation if anyone has a source.

Always call the fire dept if there is smoke and or fire, do not open the hood, you don't know the outcome, and better to be safe. Second point, once you make the call to the Fire Department your insurance takes over getting your car repaired. They will do the reporting to the NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board). Please forgive me if this response sounds a little rough
Doesn't sound rough at all. A very cogent response.

Absolutely, opening the hood if there is smoke coming from it immediately adds more oxygen if there is a fire and it can blow out in your face. It may be your first instinct to see what's wrong, but your safety is more important Never re-enter a car or attempt to restart a car if there is smoke and always call the fire department. Electrical fires are much harder to put out without the right extinguisher and using water makes it worse. Also if the heat is bad enough the battery can split or at worse blow up. Don't take chances.

I really appreciate all the responses. Update. According to the dealership there was a small electrical fire. However they haven’t seen anything like this before, they’re a small dealership. No battery will hold a charge. They stated they need to replace modules, update my software, but have been unable to do anything since Ford software system has been down and without that nothing can be done. It hasn’t been worked on since Tuesday. The service manager stated this could happen again, since they don’t know the reason. I’m frustrated! They don’t do loaners and I’m without wheels and they don’t seem to care. They suggested that I should invest in a Trickle Charger, just started looking at these. Anyone use these? I’ll keep you updated.

Btw Yes, I opened the hood when it was smoking, was considering using the fire extinguisher on it. I never thought it would blow up!

Sue, talk to your insurance agent, you may have car rental coverage. I still think this should be a covered claim. Cars just don't have electrical fires, especially new ones. I hope the Explorer is at the dealer and not in your possession. Having to use a trickle charger is un acceptable except for long term storage.

Back