• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Gremlins WTF...

Kyle0614

Reaction score
City, State
Greenville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
OK, going to the stealership tomorrow to have this solved cause it is driving me absolutely bonkers...

Round One, noticed that the ends or the radio harness I had previously in my truck when I bought had a couple of broken wires at the ends of the plugs...so I thought hmm...that could be bad.

Round Two, went too junkyard cut off ends of a good plug and tried too resplice them back together all to the factory harness i had cut the ends off of my truck...

Round Three, did a horrible job so I pulled everything back apart and going too tape all the open wires back together just so no other problems will prevail...

Round Four, Tonight when I start my truck I have absolutely no interior lights whatsoever except for the temp gauge on the top roof console that is the oly thing that works nonstop in my interior...

Round Five, small note : you know how if your in drive and you tinker with the O/D just sitting still and you can see go on and off? well, say you turn it off when sitting still the only way to see it light up and know it is off is when you push it back into park then you can see it...

SIGH ...i'm hoping they can solder up the end piece or something another real good from the one I clipped...have I completely shorted something or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm... no answer? Sounds like you cut into more than the radio harness. Hope they can fix it for you.

Ditto, but I would look carefully at all of the fuses in both locations. Good luck,

well she's gettin' all fixed tomorrow at least thats what we hope :) ...........multiple blown fuses they suspect .....also there going to rewire the harness (solder and heat shrink) new(well my old working odometer/cluster bulbs lol) and that should about do it...

Dude, stay out from under the dash!

When you put the harness from the junkyard into your car, I noticed that you mentioned tape. Did you splice the wires, twist them together and tape them back? I would suggest next time you take on a job like that (if you haven't done this already) use those connectors that you insert a spliced wire into and then crimp it. Now that I am on the spot I forget their proper name. Anyways, then sliced some heatshrink over the top, slide the heatshrink back far enough to insert the other wire and crimp it. Then slide the heatshrink over the connector and shrink it.
It's really an easy job.

i dunno i guess you could say i'm an electrical screw up :) lol which is why someone else is doing it...

yay she has full factory audio now thx too John at colony tire he is the sh******t at electrical repair...only took him about 1 and 1/2 hours not bad...thx for the help guys I know you tried and I know it was a bit of a tuffy too answer....

Back