Electrical Hic-ups?

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
Im pretty stumped on this one...

I'll be driving along, under various conditions at various speeds, both towing and not, and for no apparent reason my truck has an electrical hic-up. It happens sparratically once or twice every 50 miles or so. My radio and all lights completely turn off, the engine dies and my auto tranny freaks out. It only lasts for a moment, by the time I can react, everything goes back to normal, running as if nothing happened. The pre-sets on my radio are still there, so the truck isn't fully loosing power?

-120A Alt. new last year
-Yellow Top new last year
-Nothing loose, no CEL codes and everythings runs normal 99% of the time.

Could it be a short circuit somewhere?

Fixed! I thought I'd give it one last look... Found the main pos. power cable was worn through against the lower EGR tubing. It only short circuited every once in a while because the EGR tubing has that fabric heat shield around it. Thanks for looking, ExplorerForum is great, mods can delete this thread.

Glad you found it. I would never have guessed that. Please leave thread for future reference. Thanks for posting the fix.

Thanks for posting the fix.

You fixed an odd problem which wasn't readily apparent. Someday that might help someone with good archive searching skills.

Back