Electrical Problem Need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Problem Need HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lildevil1985

Reaction score
City, State
Warrensburg, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Ok I have gotten about 6 different alternators changed wiring and still alternator will not send a charge to the battery. what else can it be someone please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is possible the problem isn't the alternator, but the battery its self. Try using a different battery and see if it makes a difference.

i have changed the battery i just put a new battery in yesterday and another new alternator today what else could it be because the light is still on and im running out of opitions

It is possible the problem isn't the alternator, but the battery its self. Try using a different battery and see if it makes a difference.

i have tried a new battery i just bought a new battery and another alternator still the light is on

I had trouble with the battery cable. May want to look at replacing those.

Also, may want to check the chargin system to see if the alternator is charging the battery and you have a short somewhere? I am still trying to chase down a gremlin that will require a jump start if I let the truck sit for two weeks or more.

Voltage?

Whats the voltage at the battery across the terminals. Should be ~13.8 with the engine running. Is the ground from the battery good? Remake it!. How about the engine ground which often connects the alternator to the engine to the chassis to the battery?......

brett

To make the alternator run you need:
1. to have the alternator light come on.....you have that
2. 12V to the alternator regulator.... probably if the light is on
3. Alternator output bolt needs to connect to the battery +....I think that is what you are missing. This wire has a link that can open up.

Check the smaller wire on the + side of the Battery.
Make sure it didn't self destruct. It runs to the Starter relay, That the one that indirectly comes from the alternator.

Check the smaller wire on the + side of the Battery.
Make sure it didn't self destruct. It runs to the Starter relay, That the one that indirectly comes from the alternator.

:exp: ok i have replaced both +/- battery cables also the wiring that plugs into the alternator i have a new battery and another new alternator. But the light is still on and the alternator is still not charging the battery. I have also changed the fuseable link wire that runs from the alternator to the starter relay. The explorer has a new starter relay also is it possible that i have another relay or fuse or something that allows the alternator to charge the battery. Is their something else.

try this

Before you start truck, run a jumper cable from the output of alt to the pos terminal of the battery. If it starts charging you will know that the alt out put cable is bad somewhere... Good Luck

I developed the same problem today! Thought it was the alternator (found the rear race had failed) and relaced it. Then I removed the alternator wire harness and ohm'd it out and it looked good (has a 12G fuseable link). The battery light is still on. :mad: Battery is fine..
Tomorrow I'll check the voltages at the alternator and battery. If the battery voltage (with the truck running) does not look good at the battery I'm considering running a jumper from the B+ alternator terminal to the start relay, then to the battery checking to see if the light goes out..
Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Thanks a bunch!

I developed the same problem today! Thought it was the alternator (found the rear race had failed) and relaced it. Then I removed the alternator wire harness and ohm'd it out and it looked good (has a 12G fuseable link). The battery light is still on. :mad: Battery is fine..
Tomorrow I'll check the voltages at the alternator and battery. If the battery voltage (with the truck running) does not look good at the battery I'm considering running a jumper from the B+ alternator terminal to the start relay, then to the battery checking to see if the light goes out..
Any suggestions would be appreciated..
Thanks a bunch!

We found the problem (s) with my charging system! It was two small fuses (20A and a 15A) located in the fuse box on the right hand (passenger) side of the engine compartment. These fuses are in a circuit to pin A of the 3 pin connector on the back of the alternator. Apparently when the alternator bearing failed these blew. :D

Back