Electrical problem with 2019 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electrical problem with 2019 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
DFW
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Limited
Something in the shutdown to save the battery system prevented me from starting the car today. Engine would not turn over or even click. Had wrench symbol on the driver display and message on center display about the battery saver system. Got jumper cables and after a minute or so the engine fired up. Took it right to Ford dealer where they said battery was ok. Have app't for Tuesday for them to look into the problem. I had left the lift door up for an hour or so. Something in the software must be keeping system. All the driver info settings I had were wiped out as well as the clock came up off 1 hour. Strange.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it wasn't for the dealer saying the battery was fine I would have suggested the battery may be bad. Although I've seen a battery pass a test but still end up being bad. It had a dead cell or something like that.

Leaving the liftgate open and not disturbed shouldn't cause this issue. The Battery Saver program will turn OFF all lights after 10 minutes. If however, doors are opened and closed, the timer starts again. I tend to agree with Adrian that the battery may be defective. As far as I know the only way saved memory gets wiped out is if the battery is disconnected or a Master Reset is done.

Peter

If it wasn't for the dealer saying the battery was fine I would have suggested the battery may be bad. Although I've seen a battery pass a test but still end up being bad. It had a dead cell or something like that.
That is what I thought and told the service advisor. Will let them get into it Tuesday and report back. I had a 56 Chev in the day that had a bad battery with bad cell. As soon as you jumped it the battery tested good. Finally I just bought a new battery and problem went away.

Update: It was the battery. Took it in yesterday; dealer checked battery and it was ok they said. They let it set for couple of hours and noticed a huge voltage drop. So now have a new battery. That is what I thought from the start. 14 months on old battery.

Back