• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Problem

hmiller

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
I just finished instlling speakers in my frint doors, and I apparently caused a short somewhere in the power lock/window circuit, since it blows the fuse within a couple seconds of powering up. I've looked at all the wiring on the driver's side, where I think the problem is since everything worked fine after I put the passenger side together, before I did the driver's side, and all the wiring appears to be in order. I'm at a complete loss, and I have a window stuck halfway down, so any ideas you might have would be most appreciated. Thanks!
-Harley

Are your new speakers deeper than the stock ones? Is the window track or actuator arm sticking on the new speaker?

The screws you used to put in the new speakers might be too long

There isn't any clearence problem with the speaker depth...I installed the new speaker on the right side of the truck frist and put everything back together, and everything worked fine. The problem came up when I didi the driver's side. I thought the problem would be in the door lock/window switch panel, but I looked it over, and everything seemed in order.

it might be a grounding problem. the ground for the windows and locks might have been disturbed and is now touching some sort of power source. i would say try putting the stock speaker back in just the way it was and see how things work. also, check all the wires in the door and make sure that they arent touching eachother or any part of the speaker. did you only put in speakers or did you put in a radio too? did you use the stock speaker wires or did you run new wires?

Back