First Post: first problem.....

Homer2555

Reaction score
City, State
Vcr, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
hey all,

I have a 98 XLS with the power option.

I'll get right to it, here is my problem.

POWER WINDOWS>>>>>

My passenger side window will not go up, but will go down, as well, my driver side siwtch will also control the window down, but not up. Now, this all happened at once, not one switch failing first but both at the same time. Obviously, I want to fix this as soon as possible as I am running out of room to put my window down as I show people........

So, Is the wiring between both switches common, ie. is one switch wired to the other switch? If I change the passenger side switch, will the driver side automatically work??

need help fast as I am hoping to keep haveing sunny weather....:D

thx for the help

Homer2555

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I were you I would pull off the door panel and check the connections on the back of the switches.

If they are connected then it might be your motor?? Sometimes the motors freez up for no obvious reason. I got my dads working again by banging it with a screw driver.

Hope this helps.

It is probably not the switches....the actuator that moves the window up and down is probaly at fault. Another thing it could be is a loose wire at the power window motor...take off the door panel, and have a look around.

After I posted the initial thread, I heard that I may be raining in Vancouver by Friday. So, with work and everything I had no time to do anything on it... therfore... the dreaded DEALERSHIP.....

They have just called me an said that it is the switch and that both are interconnected.

Does anyone have any wiring diagrams of the power window circuits.

I would have though it would be the relay that both buttons feed.

thanks for the input already.. It is very much appreciated.

Homer2555

Ok, truck is back and after a whopping bill, it was explained to me by the dealership that indeed it was the passenger side switch.

apparently, if the switch fails, it will also effect the other switch through the wiring....

I have never heard of the this before, I would have thought it would be the common relay that would have been the problem....

oh well.. live and learn..

But.. If anyone does have a link or anything like that that would show the wiring for the power window switches that would be great...

I have looked all over the net btw and no luck..

Homer2555

Back