• Register Today It's free!

Electrical Questions

97LTD

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 and '98 LTD
Hi first of all, I've lurked thru the forums for the electrical question that I'm trying to find an answer for but no luck.. so here's a couple of electrical question I have here for my 97 Limited 4.0 SOHC mileage at 116K.

First - For a while, at night driving with the lights on, the center console lights where the radio is went out, plus the compass, and the computer messaging center and the radio clock stays brighten (will not dim). The instrument cluster where the gauges are, the lights are on and in working order. So I am suspecting it could be a fuse or an electrical short problem?

Second - The electrical ac/heater system, whenever it's cold weather out there, when I set it to either 85o or 90o it blew cold air like air conditioner as opposite when it's nice and warm outside, setted at 60o automatic it blew hot air. The MaxAC it blows cold air. Could it be a sensor?

Does anyone have similiar problem with this? Any help would be appreciated Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No Reply? I was hoping if someone has a clue to my questions. I guess I'm on my own to look into it. Thanks for looking..

Sorry for no answers, If we have never had the problem we can't tell you how to fix it. Repost into this thread so others will know if you fix the problem. Everyone here is really good a responding if they know the problem.

Keep in mind most of us are "Shade Tree" mechanics, so the only problems we know the fix for are the same as was on our vehicles.

David

First - For a while, at night driving with the lights on, the center console lights where the radio is went out, plus the compass, and the computer messaging center and the radio clock stays brighten (will not dim). The instrument cluster where the gauges are, the lights are on and in working order. So I am suspecting it could be a fuse or an electrical short problem?

It could be the dimmer switch, it controle the brithness of all those thinks(radio, compass, radio clock, the computer messaging center). It could be finish and what's happinging is that some conection are touching, cutting off the power some accessories but suplying to an other.

thanks Dave I will keep in mind :)

I will check the dimmer switch thanks for the input

Second - The electrical ac/heater system, whenever it's cold weather out there, when I set it to either 85o or 90o it blew cold air like air conditioner as opposite when it's nice and warm outside, setted at 60o automatic it blew hot air. The MaxAC it blows cold air. Could it be a sensor? QUOTE]

i don't have the electronical feature of selecting the air, i have the nob.... if it's a sensor, why would sensor take the outside tempeture, it should take the inside temp because you are selecting the heat needed.If the sensor doesn't work properly, it could think that the vehicule is to hot so in return sending could air and contrary. Check on the internet for temp sensor for inside the car.... that's the best i can do to my knoleg...:D

This morning, I went to a Ford mechanic for the question and their opinion. I asked them about the electronic A/C and heater system, told them that when its cold air it blows cold like a/c and while it's nice day or warmer days, it'd blow hot air no matter what I set it to 60o or 90o in between. I was told that it could be a/c compressor leak which I find it hard to believe because I had thought it could be a sensor in the system since all Limited Explorers do come with electronic temperature control system?

They asked me to take a look of course for a fee but I'd rather wait and come here for your opinions and inputs. I do have a feeling it is part of sensor and electrical issues not just the a/c compressor or the system leak.

Any ideas or suggestions?

the system has three sensor (I just have a manual and not the equipment). One for outside air temp, one for inside temp and one for sun loading. Potentially measuring the resistance of each sensor will give you an idea of what they "think" is the current "state" of your environment. Sounds like the inside one is backwards.... but the problem could also be a blender door issue.... perhaps.

After reading your response to the Ford diagnosis, you will help yourself by checking your compressor as their diagnosis is also valid. When it cold and the system blows cold, is your compressor running? When its warm(er), and you try to cause AC, does your compressor come on or does is cycle often?

Back