• Register Today It's free!

'Ello there!

SunSearching

Reaction score
City, State
Athens, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 4x4, 96 BMW 328is
Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself! My name's Emily, and in about.. oooh... 7.5 hours I will be going to pick up my 1997 explorer XLT. :thumbsup: I'm super excited! I'm new to Explorers, but not the world of forums, modifying cars, or Ford light trucks... my first vehicle was a 1987 Ford Ranger that we finally laid to rest at the ripe old age of 273,885 miles... yes, on the original motor!

About ME! - I live in GA, and go to the Savannah College of Art and Design. Majoring in Industrial Design, but I eventually want to do automotive/transportation design. I'm 21 years old, and I've been into cars since I was tall enough to see into an engine bay! I like heated but good natured debates, off topic and useless post whoring in appropriate areas, and learning as much as I can about a new vehicle! I'm also a global moderator over on AutomotiveForums.com

About Devin! - Yes, I name my vehicles. It's fun! She's a white/tan 1997 XLT. 170k on the ticker and she needs a few little touches here and there, but I'm not complaining! I will be the second owner of her once I get her home (in about 10 hours if all goes smoothly) She's bone stock for now, but I plan on doing a few little things here and there, because anyone who knows me knows that I NEVER drive stock vehicles. ^_^

About Heidi! - This girl is my baby... 1993 Honda del Sol showcar. She's the whole shebang... swapped in a built DOHC, 225whp motor (till turbo.. then she jumps to about 375 or so to the wheels), low to the ground, body kit, blah blah blah blah BLAH I could go on about her all day, but this is an explorer forum!

I don't really have too many explorer questions as of now, but I'm quite sure I will in the next few days. :) I'm super excited... I've always liked Explorers.

Plans for Devin: As much as I'm sure my father would love for me to keep her stock, it's just not gonna happen. As of right now, I'm looking for a set of mag wheels and beefier tires to give her not only a more agressive stance, but also a slightly wider wheelbase (I know her generation is notorious for rollovers). Nothing big enough to require lifting or anything like that... I want to leave the suspension pretty much stock.. I might do a sway bar here or there to smooth things out, but it all looks good for now. I also am looking for a brushguard with no foglights, probably just have to get this new, but I'll snoop around and see what's out there... again with the looking a bit more agressive. The white paint will stay for now. Gonna tint the windows down a bit darker than they already are, do an intake and dual exhaust, and put two 12s in the back in a custom box and call it a day (for me, this is LIGHT mods..). Might do a billet grille or some more facelift stuff, but it depends on the brushguard (I live in an area with a LOT of deer, so this is fashion AND function)

Here's a quick pic I snapped of her while I was looking her over the first time!

12208033461.jpg

Sorry for being so long winded! I get that way!

And about the SunSearching handle... del Sol = of the Sun... Explorer.. well.. exploring and searching are the same thing just about... yay SunSearching!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome, glad you are excited, sounds like you have many plans in store.

The pic looks like an XLT not an eddie....Good Luck with your new ride.

Cool
Good luck with your career path, sounds like you really know where you are going, so many people your age are lost.

I say lower it, I don't like mud, but that's just me

bender said:
Welcome, glad you are excited, sounds like you have many plans in store.

The pic looks like an XLT not an eddie....Good Luck with your new ride.

It may well be.. I wasn't paying attention to the model trim.. I was too busy looking over everything and checking essentials (belts, hoses, suspension, etc). It's fully loaded, so I assumed eddie and didn't confirm it. Leather, cd changer, sunroof, keyless, etc etc etc. Honestly, I'm getting such a good deal on it that it doesn't really matter... I'm VERY happily getting my money's worth. :)

jtsmith said:
Cool
Good luck with your career path, sounds like you really know where you are going, so many people your age are lost.

I say lower it, I don't like mud, but that's just me

I'm not really intending on mudding or anything... I thought about lowering it, but I knew that if I did that that I would want bigger wheels (20"s or so), and then I would want this really sharp looking (to me) kit that I saw on ebay, and then I would want a custom interior, and then since I had to paint the kit I would end up getting the whole truck painted, and then I'd want the engine bay to be as pretty as the rest of the truck so I'd do that, and then I'd want a wild sub setup... and then I'd have not one but two show cars, and I'd be on the hunt for a daily driver again! This is my "get dirty" ride... I don't have to wrap the front end in plastic to go somewhere, I don't have to worry about which wheels I want to use for a show, if it gets a ding it's not a weekend in the body shop... I want a car I can just... have... :)

I stand corrected... she's an xlt. :)

SunSearching said:
I'm not really intending on mudding or anything... I thought about lowering it, but I knew that if I did that that I would want bigger wheels (20"s or so), and then I would want this really sharp looking (to me) kit that I saw on ebay, and then I would want a custom interior, and then since I had to paint the kit I would end up getting the whole truck painted, and then I'd want the engine bay to be as pretty as the rest of the truck so I'd do that, and then I'd want a wild sub setup... and then I'd have not one but two show cars, and I'd be on the hunt for a daily driver again! This is my "get dirty" ride... I don't have to wrap the front end in plastic to go somewhere, I don't have to worry about which wheels I want to use for a show, if it gets a ding it's not a weekend in the body shop... I want a car I can just... have... :)

I wish my wife uderstood it like that!!!

Yes these vehicles can be fun, some people even use them as a temporary tent for camping.
If your Del-sol becomes a trailer queen ( gag uhg), you have a tow vehicle also

jtsmith said:
I wish my wife uderstood it like that!!!

Yes these vehicles can be fun, some people even use them as a temporary tent for camping.
If your Del-sol becomes a trailer queen ( gag uhg), you have a tow vehicle also

The Sol's about __ that close to being a trailer queen.. I still drive her to shows, but I put massive amounts of protection over her paint (I have a clear bra covering the hood, fenders, front bumper, front half of the roof, and side mirrors.. basically anywhere that would get hit.. it's like thick shrink wrap and I keep a roll of it in the garage.. it clings to panels, but can then be peeled off without any damage to paint.)... she also always has a "backpack", which until now was my mom's van... in there can be found the wheels for that show, all my detailing crap, any business cards/literature that I may have been asked to display, trophies, whatever setup I'm doing at the show, my toolbox, yadda yadda yadda... it takes me two days to get ready for a show... but it's worth it.. she's my angel.

I REALLY like the tent idea... I've seen it done on elements, and that's way cool.. I love the beach.. would be WAY fun to camp out! :)

Welcome to the Forum. I think you can find answers to most any Explorer question you might have on here, and as for mods, I think in some fashion or another, someone around here has done any mod you can dream of.

welcome to the site I see That ur from athens kool kool i live like 20 mins from there i go there alot i do have one guestion tho r u single ?? not tryin to ask u out or anything just askin

Bruce'sexpo said:
welcome to the site I see That ur from athens kool kool i live like 20 mins from there i go there alot i do have one guestion tho r u single ?? not tryin to ask u out or anything just askin

Yeah I'm single... I think that's one of the more random questions I've been asked..

So Devin is officially sitting outside, and I am IN LOVE! So many new things to learn about! ^_^ Can't wait to get out there tomorrow and do the few little repairs she needs.

yea im random sorry and very blunt sometimes .. il be in athens this weekend some time maybe ill see you around there ill be drivin a black navajo looks like an explorer sport wit Country Boy on the winshield in camo and a sticker on the back that says
LowRiders Are For Guys Who Cant Get It Up but yea like i said im random sorry

jtsmith said:
Glad your aboard really
Whats the first few projects?

Detailing the HELL out of her (today) so I can put up better pictures, Getting a tow hitch so that she's actually useful for what I need (towing the Sol), oil change cause she's been sitting for a while... basic stuff. Her tires are in really good shape right now, so I can't justify pulling off good tires to put on bigger ones. Probably gonna go ahead and start looking for a brushguard.. Had to brake so hard she took a nosedive last night cause of those stupid deer. :fire:

Back