• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Brake Light on in dash

ddeg10

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Limited Explorer
(note: I have searched and read other threads about this but my problem seemed to sound slightly different than the others so I thought I would make a new thread.)

Whenever the vehicle is first turned on, the red parking (BRAKE!) light comes on in the dash. The orange "rear antilock" light also comes on below that. It then dissapears for 2 seconds and then reappears (in which it stays there until you turn the vehicle off). It just started happening 2 days ago out of nowhere. Whenever I disengage the parking brake, the light dims but does not disappear.

I have checked the brake fluid and it is topped off. I tried pulling on the parking brake lever several times. I also tried pulling up on the parking brake itself while starting the vehicle to see if the light would go off (no luck).

What else could I try to make this annoying light go off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was having problems with the light it was a faulty sensor.

Check the magnet/float in the master cylinder, mine sticks toward the bottom once in a while. My ABS light also stayed on so I just put tape over the light. My Ford dealer told me that if your ABS system goes out it defaults to a standard braking system. Just give yourself more time to brake in traffic.

I assume you're talking about the ABS light staying on. You mention both lights, but never clarify which light is staying on. If it's the ABS Light, try having your brake system flushed. The older ABS and RABS systems were suceptible to changes in fluid density due to moisture in the fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it needs to be changed periodically. If there is too much water in the fluid, the specific density goes down, and the system thinks the brake pressure is too low, and throws and ABS light.

This happened to my old '92 Explorer a few years back. Changed the fluid and the light went out a few days later. It took some time for the light to go out because the RABS module is on a dead end, and it took that long for the fluid there to mix with the new fluid...

IF it's the red light DO NOT DRIVE THE VEHICLE!!! This light indicates something may be wrong with the primary braking system. It could be sensor failure, or it could be a braking problem. Have it checked out immediately.

Both the "Rear Antilock" AND "BRAKE!" lights are staying on when the engine is started. The rear antilock thing doesnt bother me, its the parking brake light that is annoying.

My transmission is also having problems engaging in Overdrive (the auto trans. is dying and will be replaced entirely this week). I mention this because I don't know if it might be related or not.

ddeg10 said:
Both the "Rear Antilock" AND "BRAKE!" lights are staying on when the engine is started. The rear antilock thing doesnt bother me, its the parking brake light that is annoying.

My transmission is also having problems engaging in Overdrive (the auto trans. is dying and will be replaced entirely this week). I mention this because I don't know if it might be related or not.

That light is not just your parking brake light. It's also the light that tells you something is wrong in the braking system. It could just be a bad sensor, but it also could be a brake component failing...I'd have it diagnosed immediately.

Have you checked to see if the switch that activates the light when the parking brake is engaged is working properly?

I doubt the two are related since they are two independent systems....

JDraper said:

That light is not just your parking brake light. It's also the light that tells you something is wrong in the braking system. It could just be a bad sensor, but it also could be a brake component failing...I'd have it diagnosed immediately.

Have you checked to see if the switch that activates the light when the parking brake is engaged is working properly?

How do you check to see if the switch that activates the light is working?

Since both the rear ABS and the red BRAKE light both appeared the same day without turning off, I imagine the red light is on because of the rear antilock message. And from my research this could be yes either a sensor, or it could just need a flush. I checked the brake fluid and it is very dark brown so it does need a flush. Maybe I should just get the flush and see if they will do a free diagnosis with the flush (if that doesnt fix the problem). If it's a sensor I could really care less as long as the brakes work properly.

Also I forgot to mention this happens when the key is turned once (to the accessories), the engine doesn't have to be started for the problem to occur (BRAKE! and rear antilock messages remaining once the other lights disappear).

Weird!! I had the same problem today. Replaced front brakes and calipers almost a week ago. This morning on my way to work the BRAKE light came on and about 2s later the REAR ANTILOCK light came on. Turn off and restarted, lights still on. Went on to work and chedked fluid level. On my way home lights never came on?

Funny thing is it seemed to actually stop better when the lights were on.

Back