• Register Today It's free!

Emergency Brake Pad Replacement

Cdexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Deerfield, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8
So I took my X to my local ford dealer for new rear brake pads and rotors. They called me and told me my emergency brake pads had rusted and basically disentegrated so I need to replace that too. Problem is it's an older style setup so they have to put on new springs, new this and that and a conversion system. The Emergency brake pad setup will run me $248. Overall I'm looking at just over $750 for everything :banghead: Oh well..he did say he loved the wheels which was good to hear. I figured he'd say put the stockers back on you're not allowed to modify explorers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which Dealer do you go to? I use Townsend Ford in Townsend MA all the time. I know that my e-brake pads are gone on the drivers side completley! but I still have some on the Pass Side. I will just let them wear out, I never use the e-brake so why replace something that is never ever used!

True....that's what I thought too but apparently the e-brake pads are used in conjunction with the regular brakes when braking. I dunno if this is the AWD model or what but that's what he said about my truck.

Still can't imagine it would make that much of a difference but I dunno. Does anyone else?

When I went to do my rear brakes in my explorer before moab last year, they basically came out in several pieces like they had shattered in there. I'd guess they'd probably been like that for a year or so and I had never even noticed.

Originally posted by Cdexplorer
True....that's what I thought too but apparently the e-brake pads are used in conjunction with the regular brakes when braking. I dunno if this is the AWD model or what but that's what he said about my truck.

Still can't imagine it would make that much of a difference but I dunno. Does anyone else?

Your dealer was telling you that to try and emphasize his position that you need new e-brake shoes. On my '97 they are definately not used in conjunction with my rear disc brakes. The only thing that activates the e-brake shoes is a cable. The only thing attached to the cable is the e-brake pedal.

Robert,
thats what I thought too!

Matt,
Did you convert to Rear Disc Brakes on "Vegas"?

Originally posted by CBoug76
Matt,
Did you convert to Rear Disc Brakes on "Vegas"?
Negatory, just replaced with new shoes and drums.

Amazing! This is how mechanics get such a poor rep. Even the dealership mechanics will lie through their teeth to make a few extra bucks.

by the way what was this "conversion kit" thing he was talking about? Tell him if he'll convert you over to disks for that price you'll do it cause that's not too bad... if its just something so its easier for him to do your emergency brake I'd tell him to get lost.

Matt, I think he has Disc Brakes.

I have Disc brakes, but in the rear there is a set of brake shoes that make contact on the inner part of the brake rotor. so in theory, I have Disc brakes but I have drum e-brakes.

So I have NO Idea what the conversion kit is. Its probalby something like a Muffler Bearing....

Drum-in-hat

The Explorer (and most other American cars with rear disc brakes) uses what is called a "drum-in-hat" parking brake. It's a very small drum brake that uses the rotor "hat" section for the drum. Works similar to a regular drum brake in that when the parking brake lever is pushed, the cable forces the shoes against the drum.

Originally posted by Cdexplorer
So I took my X to my local ford dealer for new rear brake pads and rotors. They called me and told me my emergency brake pads had rusted and basically disentegrated so I need to replace that too. Problem is it's an older style setup so they have to put on new springs, new this and that and a conversion system. The Emergency brake pad setup will run me $248. Overall I'm looking at just over $750 for everything . . .

I just had a similar problem with my parking brake! Turns out that the emergency brake shoes on the passenger side somehow was stuck in the full engaged position. There was nothing left - metal on metal! It trashed the rotor in the process.

But for state safety and emission inspection, new shoes and new rotor, the repair shop bill, including tax and labor, came to $201!

Ford dealers have a right to make a living and they can and should charge whatever the market will bear. Running a dealership is expensive. Overhead items such as advertising and promotion, utilities, etc. are spread to the several operations in a dealership (e.g., service, parts, body shop, etc.) Each such operation is its own profit/loss center and each manager is expected to show a profit for his/her operation. I have the right to shop around for other qualified technicians at a better price if I choose and I do. I personally have never taken a vehicle back to the dealer but for warranty repairs - which have been rare for me.

Unless some warranty contract required Cdexplorer to take the vehicle back to the dealer for non-warranty repairs, I would have balked at the price and shopped elsewhere!

Back