Engine and trans swap? 2nd gen to a 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine and trans swap? 2nd gen to a 1st gen

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
Well iI have a 1994 X with 150000 miles on it and a tranmision that has been rebuilt more times than I care to count or list. Engine is in O.K. working condition being a rebuilt one that was botched together before I had bought it.

My question is will a early 1995 4.0 X engine and transmision work with all my late 1994 X componets or will I need to change out the whole computer setup too. Its a wrecked 95 with less than 25000 miles on both rebuilt engine and transmision for only $500.00.

Does anyone know what will go into the swap or what I will need to change, replace, or customize in the process or if I can even do it?

Any help or thoughts would be greatly apreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe the 95 will be an OBD-II engine with the plastic upper intake. Also the oil pans are different, the 95 doesn't have the low oil level sensor. You can change upper intake and use the 94 harness. Also need to check on the CPS (top right side rear of engine) some were 3 wire and some were 2 wire.

nope

95 is still OBD-I

This is do-able

as mentioned you will need to swap engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, oil pans and oil pump pickup...intakes, accessories, and sensors... basically use everything from your 94 engine on the new 95 block

Just know this the actual 4.0L OHV block changed very little from 91 to 2001, so you can even use the block and heads from a 2001 model if you can find one. IN 96 they went to a 8 bolt crank from 5.. so if you get an engine from a stick and try to put it in your auto you will need to buy the flexplate and teh 8 bolts for the new engine..
I have put 98 engines into 93's, and many more etc...etc

nope

95 is still OBD-I

This is do-able

as mentioned you will need to swap engine mounts, exhaust manifolds, oil pans and oil pump pickup...intakes, accessories, and sensors... basically use everything from your 94 engine on the new 95 block

Just know this the actual 4.0L OHV block changed very little from 91 to 2001, so you can even use the block and heads from a 2001 model if you can find one. IN 96 they went to a 8 bolt crank from 5.. so if you get an engine from a stick and try to put it in your auto you will need to buy the flexplate and the 8 bolts for the new engine..
I have put 98 engines into 93's, and many more etc...etc

I've always wondered.. in this case, would he run the older < 95tm heads on that block from the 95? If so wouldn't you lose compression since you have dished pistons and the large chamber head?

If so, can you run the 95 tm heads on the 95 block and get it to run using the older ecm assuming you get everything else swapped back to how your old motor was?

~Mark

you can put 95 heads on a earlier OHV and gain compression, the stock computer will comensate andyou must run 91 octane unless you live here in CO where it wont help :)

I have always just run the heads that came with the used OHV, I mean lets face it if you are replacing an OHV 4.0L on a budget with another used engine, you probably dont want your old heads or they are the cause of your problem in the first place.

I always find the cheapest OHV in town from the latest model with teh fewest miles... and use that for my swaps 98 Ranger engine with 62K Miles, 90 day warranty, was $300 no core :) it went into a 93 sport it works perfectly, the 98 has a CAm sensor, the 93 does not so I just left it there.
Another one I did was a 96 engine into a 97 truck, the cam sensor wires were different the 97 had 2 wires, teh 96 had three (if I have this right from memory) all that was required after a quick view of the wiring diagrams was to locate a sensor signal return wire (grey with red stripe) and tap into it for the thrid wire.
The cam sensors are not interchangeable, in 95 when they went to the plastic intake the depth of the cam sensor changed, so you cant use a 94 cam sensor in a 95 engine, instead you must wire up the 95 sensor... trust me I tried AFTER the engine was in place and stabbed to the tranny...

check the oil pump and pickup, new oil pan gasket, and figure out the cam sensor before you stab any engines... once its in there it is a PITA to work on... I had to build scaffolding over the hood to work on that sucker and the end result was using the cam sensor that was already in the block before I removed it!! hahaha

I have done about 8 of these I think to date with the OHV, they all worked perfect, no codes

He will need to use the '95 computer and do a lot of re-wiring won't he? Isn't the transmissions in the '94s mechanical but the '95 transmissions computer controlled?

ouch I didnt see he was using the 95 transmission also

this is a good question because the 95 is STILL OBD-I, EEC_IV, not OBD-II until 96
so I am not sure there are any changes between a 94 A4LD and the 95 version???

I personally think the 95 was about the worst year of the explorer ever... so I dont use them or parts from them, if it was my truck I would seriously consider finding a 96-97 Ranger for the donor with a 5 speed!!! hahahaha so sick of rebuilding the a4ld... the 97 ranger still had the TTB so no issues with exhaust, oil pan, etc...

if you must have an automatic, 95 is not the best donor
Depending on your abilities I would consider a ohv and auto swap from like a 97-2001 Exploerer or ranger...and yes anything OBD-II is ALOT more work

If you must have an auto and can live without overdrive I would do the C4/5 conversion and forgvet about it, use any year OHV you want in front of that sucker

skip the 700r4, way too much involved and too much $$$ IMO for that conversion, your better off getting a full v8 drivetrain instead of messing with that

you can put 95 heads on a earlier OHV and gain compression, the stock computer will comensate andyou must run 91 octane unless you live here in CO where it wont help :)

Thats what was confusing me.. if the 95tm on a 91-93 block increases compression, then a 91-93 head on a 95 tm would lower compression..

I have always just run the heads that came with the used OHV, I mean lets face it if you are replacing an OHV 4.0L on a budget with another used engine, you probably dont want your old heads or they are the cause of your problem in the first place.
I "thought" read somewhere that the older computer couldn't handle the newer motor but I only "read it". And if I remember correctly, it was one of those theory things.

Since you have done it a few times, I guess I can forget that theory thing I read. (Might have been that Doug Anderson article about the 4.0 but I can't remember)

As for the 700r4 option (later post)..

As much as I like our 700r4 conversion, I would't recommend it for everyone. A manual conversion seems like a better method.

If it came down to another a4ld or the 700r4 conversion, I'd say go with the 700r4 but it won't save you any money while you do the conversion. The 700r4 is just stronger but it has its own quirks.

~Mark

you can also use SOHC pistons in a OHV and get like 14:1 compression :) talk about wild!!

bolting the earlier heads on a later block is like shooting yourself in the foot the heads were improved big time after 95

the other option of course is to get a GOOD rebuild on an A4LD they are good transmissions when rebuilt properly... unfortunatley finding somebody to do it RIGHT is like pulling teeth

Once its rebuilt keep it COOL and I mean COOL... heat KILLS the A$LD so quickly

I agree that he needs the 95 computer to run the 4R55E trans.

O.K. so all in all it can be done. Thats really good to hear. Now say I just gutted the the 95 and took all wireing componets, computer, ect... I mean everything and took out all the 94 wireing componets and just flipped all engine and trans related parts from one to the other I can do that right?

I mean if im going to do it I should just do it the right way and switch everything.

I'm going to watch this one:popcorn:, I got a similar plan but with my 98 mazda's motor and trans.

yes you can do that

the 95 parts will work in the 94
are you going to swap the dashes also?

this is a BIG DEAL, there are firewall modification
the 94 has a steering box, the 95 has a steering rack
the 94 has beams the 95 has IFS

the 95 engine must get the 94 oil pan and pickup tube, but now you want to keep the 95 intake, sensors, accessories, etc

You will be using parts from both trucks to make it a complete computer/dash/hvac swap

search around on this forum there are several Gen I trucks with Gen II drivetrains including the full wiring and dash swap

I chose the other route, I have a 98 drivetrain in my 1988 truck with 1988 fuel, cooling, HVAC, cruise control, AC and dash.... this was som crazy wiring and plumbing, but IMO not as much work as the complete HVAC and dash/firewall modification complete gen II system conversion :) I do still have some bugs to work out though! LOL
I love my 1988 cable operated HVAC controls and the simple dash...

research is your friend!!

you have alot of options to make one good truck from those two

Seems like some work from what you guys are telling me but I thik with a little time and a few cases of beer I could do the swap. Theres one good thing to haveing an X, we have our own website devoted to helping and fixing our problems and needs lol. Thanks guys... I will most definatly look into doingt he whole thing and of course post back and keep all of you guys following my post updated. Or if anyone else have more ideas and comments keep them comeing, always good to hear more feedback than none at all.

Hey 410Fortune... where abouts in Colorado are you. This fall im moveing to Grand Junction, you anywhere near there?

Back