Head Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

junkcars

Reaction score
City, State
cameron MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I just bought two 1994 Eddie Bauer Explorers. One has a great interior, the 4WD works and it has a good A/C. The tires are about 60% and the transmission has been rebuilt. The only problem is that the heads appear to be cracked. It took 5 gallons of water to travel 50 miles. The other explorer has a good motor and that is about it. The interior is trashed, the 4WD doesn't work and neither does the A/C. I need some advice about swapping heads. (I have rebuilt several engines in the past as well as carburetors, etc., so I consider myself above average as far as mechanical ability.)
Would it be better to put the good motor into the better explorer or just swap the heads from the good motor to the bad? What other items should be attended to when I get the motor torn down? I know that some engines are particular about how the pushrods seat, rockers arms wear, etc. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

These engines don't wear badly and the heads are the only concern. Factory heads or stock replacements are prone to cracking.

Best solution is aftermarket heads. Any bought new from a parts store will be aftermarket. Don't use remanufactured heads.

Up to you which way you want to go, but if you have the heads off of either motor you might as well freshen them up and add all new gaskets.

I would run a compression test on both motors, and if the one with good heads has equal numbers or better than the bad one, use the complete motor and don't bother tearing it apart unless you have the funds and want to do it. You shouldn't have to worry about valvetrain wear too much.

Back