• Register Today It's free!

engine backfiring

Doomie17

Reaction score
City, State
harford county, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 limited, 93 xlt
ive search and i still am in the dark on this one.

pretty much i had to replace the exhaust,valve cover and upper intake gaskets. and now the truck has no pwer and is backfiring. the cats were clogged so i gutted them and the only other thing i changed was i put a cone filter on. trucks a 93. i just replaced the plugs and wires and now im lost. the truck did sit for about 3 months. but before that i ran pretty good. also the battery warning light is on but goes away if i rev it. so help me please

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds obvious but, recheck your plug wires. You may have one or more crossed. I have tunes up about 15 explorers over the past few years and I nearly always get one wire wrong.

Make sure you plugged in all the wiring harnesses you may have disconnected while doing the work.

Make sure your fuel injector harness is properly connected. Crossing injectors can cause the same issue as crossed plug wires. Check codes? This may get you started in the right direction.

i made sure i got the plug wires correct and the injector wiring seems to be idiot proof lol. but i will check them in the morning

Any vacuum lines off the Octopus on the Manifold??
Any Open Nipples must be plugged.

i dont have any vacum leaks. my mechanic told me to change the fuel filter and check fuel pressure. i think it might be from bad gas. cause it acts like it wants to go then bogs and backfires

Sat for three months.... Check the aircleaner for mice. Starving for air will cause this too. Clogged Cat... Are you sure the Muffler isn't clogged too?

put a cone filter in so i know there arent any mice and i am gonna run and put some fresh gas in it and when i get back i will take the muffler off and see if that solves it. i just replaced the fuel filter and it feels like it has more but then stops

i feel so dumb but its fixed now and runs like a champ it did end up being plug wires being switched. one diagram on here was wrong

Just an honest mistake. Its almost always the simplest solution. Glad to hear your truck is running good again!

yea me too ive been without it for about 3 months. so it probaly is gonna get alil muddy tonight

Nuts, Yeah I read that you put in the K&N style Filter... sorry

But the Muffler, if that's clogged that will bog you down

Back