Engine codes and troubles

SE7EN

Reaction score
City, State
College Station, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
KOEO - 79 - A/C or defrost on during KOEO test - not to worried about
Memory - 14 - Profile Ignition Pickup Circuit failer - what is this?
KOER - 73 - Insufficient TPS change during dynamic` response or goose test.
what is this? i replaced the TPS sensor and still acting up here is what it is doing.

didnt happen till after i drove through a water puddle and it splashed all over my driver side if you need to know. after i went through the puddle after about 5 mins it started jerking.

in 1st gear it jerks at 15mph, 2nd starts jerking at 20mph,3rd starts at 30mph, 4th starts at about 45, and i didnt get into 5th to test it.

when im in idle at rev to 2500 rpms it starts spazzing out and then the rpms go way down to zero then i let off gas and it goes back to normal.

here is a video keep in mind the whole time my foot was down on the gas i was not adjusting the gas at all at the end before i let off the gas pedal was all the way down for about 10 sec.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=56008474

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...This might help better decipher your codes..:dunno:

79 #O A/C or defrost on during self test

14 #C Two or more successive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) pulses occurred, resulting in a possible engine miss or stall.

73 #R TPS senor did not exceed 25% rotation during Dynamic Response Test (user error).

...This might help better decipher your codes..:dunno:

79 #O A/C or defrost on during self test

14 #C Two or more successive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) pulses occurred, resulting in a possible engine miss or stall.

73 #R TPS senor did not exceed 25% rotation during Dynamic Response Test (user error).

thanks so what could 14 be? ignition coil? plugs? wires? i just replaced plugs and wires 2 months ago. is it the ignition coil or could it be the camshaft position sensor that might of got some water or something on it?

...I myself would need more information..

...Just my opinion but my first thoughts are, you have a bunch of electronics that have gotten wet and may still have moisture...The best thing to do would be to let everything dry without running the vehicle...Allowing the vehicle to continue running wet will create new shorts...

...I would also disconnect the negeative cable while it is drying out...This will reset your computer..Maybe someone else will chime in here with another, more useful, suggestion...

...I myself would need more information..

...Just my opinion but my first thoughts are, you have a bunch of electronics that have gotten wet and may still have moisture...The best thing to do would be to let everything dry without running the vehicle...Allowing the vehicle to continue running wet will create new shorts...

...I would also disconnect the negeative cable while it is drying out...This will reset your computer..Maybe someone else will chime in here with another, more useful, suggestion...

the negative cable disconnect i already did nothing happend, i just unplugged my crankshaft position sensor and sprayed the electrical cleaner/drier. left a light on it for 10 mins and pluged it in and now it works fine.

thanks for your help

...That will clear your codes and let you know if you still have a problem if another code appears...;)

Depending on how deep the water was, it's possible that you got your distributor (or coil pack) wet. Happened to me once a long, long, time ago delivering pizza.

Could also be a spark plug wire, or just about any other electronic part.

I agree, if you can let it dry out for a few days, that might solve it.

Mike

I'm not entirely sure I've got this right, but this is how I think the PIP signal works:

CKP (CranKshaft Position sensor) detects the rotation of the crankshaft and the position of #1 cylinder. Front bottom of the engine, so it's a good place to get wet.

Signal is sent to ICM (Ignition Control Module). On my '92, it is next to the radiator, just in front of the battery.

ICM processes CKP signal, and sends PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) to PCM. Any break in this process can trigger a CM 14.

Depending on how deep the water was, it's possible that you got your distributor (or coil pack) wet. Happened to me once a long, long, time ago delivering pizza.

Could also be a spark plug wire, or just about any other electronic part.

I agree, if you can let it dry out for a few days, that might solve it.

Mike

water didnt get high enough to reach the top of my motor it was all under the motor.

and i checked all the plug wires.

I'm not entirely sure I've got this right, but this is how I think the PIP signal works:

CKP (CranKshaft Position sensor) detects the rotation of the crankshaft and the position of #1 cylinder. Front bottom of the engine, so it's a good place to get wet.

Signal is sent to ICM (Ignition Control Module). On my '92, it is next to the radiator, just in front of the battery.

ICM processes CKP signal, and sends PIP (Profile Ignition Pickup) to PCM. Any break in this process can trigger a CM 14.

it seems to be running fine after drying out the CKP and that was the only sensor that was filled with water.

thanks

Back