Engine Coolant Temp Warning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Coolant Temp Warning

Just some information for the fellow ST owners.

I had a partial breakdown last week. While towing a trailer on a long drive my ST went into limp mode due to overheated coolant. Pulled off and found a safe spot to take a look. Oddly, there was no signs otherwise of an overheat. No smell, no sounds, coolant resovoir only warm to the touch and coolant hoses again barely warm.
So, after an hour of it not cooling down I made arrangements and had it towed.
Faulty temp sensors was the problem. Needs one for each of the cylinders.
No big deal but just in case anyone else has the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the heads up to our other members with the newer Explorers.

Just some information for the fellow ST owners.

I had a partial breakdown last week. While towing a trailer on a long drive my ST went into limp mode due to overheated coolant. Pulled off and found a safe spot to take a look. Oddly, there was no signs otherwise of an overheat. No smell, no sounds, coolant resovoir only warm to the touch and coolant hoses again barely warm.
So, after an hour of it not cooling down I made arrangements and had it towed.
Faulty temp sensors was the problem. Needs one for each of the cylinders.
No big deal but just in case anyone else has the issue.

I have merged your thread using the search function with the existing one on this topic. As you can see, you are not the only one to experience this.

Going to work 5 miles from home, in the middle of the winter, the Ford Explorer Platinum 2020 showed Engine Coolant Over-temperature plus Malfunction Indicator Lamp, wow! This thing is new, 7 months old, and 4K miles! I made to work, it ran like a peace of junk!!! Very disappointed to say the least. My 10 years Toyota RAV4 runs like the first day, never had any issue.

Going to work 5 miles from home, in the middle of the winter, the Ford Explorer Platinum 2020 showed Engine Coolant Over-temperature plus Malfunction Indicator Lamp, wow! This thing is new, 7 months old, and 4K miles! I made to work, it ran like a peace of junk!!! Very disappointed to say the least. My 10 years Toyota RAV4 runs like the first day, never had any issue.

I guess Toyotas do have issues too.

Screenshot_20210221-091928_Chrome.jpg

I guess it would be just the cluster malfunction throwing out all warnings but Not actually the coolant over heating.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The reason the engine likely ran rough is due to the Fail-Safe Cooling feature.
From the Manual.
"If the engine reaches a preset over-temperature condition, the engine automatically switches to alternating cylinder operation. Each disabled cylinder acts as an air pump and cools the engine. When this occurs, your vehicle still operates, however:
• Engine power is limited.
• The air conditioning system turns off."

Peter

Back