• Register Today It's free!

Engine Coolant Temp Warning

ryangski

Reaction score
City, State
Eastpointe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So explorer is off to the dealer, engine coolant temp shot all the way up while I was sitting waiting to go to the gym, let it sit for an hour and temp didn’t go down, was 2 miles away from my dealer and managed to limp it there. Waiting to see the diagnosis on it,

haven’t even got my first oil change yet,car is just under 4300 miles, vehicle was built in late may, received july 2nd.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: dealer said they have had a case of another 2020 explorer overheating,

they cleared the check engine light and ran tests that ford told them to do. it seemed to be okay it not fully right. made a request with fords hotline and They told them to replace the engine knock sensor to see if this corrects it, part is on back order until the 9th

At least your dealer contacted Ford for further advice. Instead of telling you the code was cleared and everything was "fine". Good luck.

I also have a 2020 Explorer ST - Engine Coolant Temp alarm has gone off 3 different times now. I'm not a happy Ford owner right now. This started around 12,000 miles. Seems to be happening every 700miles or so. All 3 times, I have had to limp it home from work. First time dealership told me the connection was just loose. Second time they kept it overnight. Replaced the thermostat completely as well as the connections. Thought it was all resolved until last night on my was home from work, same crap. Different day. I will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I'm interested in what they have to say this time. I'm already looking up lemon laws.

Welcome to the Forum Katie.:wave:
I hope they get it figured out but it sounds as though your guess may be as good as theirs.

Peter

I also have a 2020 Explorer ST - Engine Coolant Temp alarm has gone off 3 different times now. I'm not a happy Ford owner right now. This started around 12,000 miles. Seems to be happening every 700miles or so. All 3 times, I have had to limp it home from work. First time dealership told me the connection was just loose. Second time they kept it overnight. Replaced the thermostat completely as well as the connections. Thought it was all resolved until last night on my was home from work, same crap. Different day. I will be taking it to the dealership tomorrow. I'm interested in what they have to say this time. I'm already looking up lemon laws.

so I got a call on the 12th saying my engine knock sensor part that was on back order until the 9th of feb will now be on back order until March 23rd. So now it’s sitting at my dealership for 2 months. I know that ford is allowed x amount of times to fix a vehicle but now I am fighting with ford to reimburse me for my February and March payments.

I blew them up on Twitter, at first they told me to talk to ford credit and essentially they were going to penalize me and make me extend my lease so I can skip my March payment and just pay it in august of 2022. To which I’d have to pay 151.00 fee. Of course I said no and that I signed a 36 month lease not a 37 etc... so I’ve been in contact with a customer relations manager that works with my dealer and they are roughly saying once the repair is finished I can push and essentially fight ford to reimburse me my payments.

Two months? What does Michigan lemon law say? Seems like you might be able to get Ford to take the car back.

so I got a call on the 12th saying my engine knock sensor part that was on back order until the 9th of feb will now be on back order until March 23rd. So now it’s sitting at my dealership for 2 months. I know that ford is allowed x amount of times to fix a vehicle but now I am fighting with ford to reimburse me for my February and March payments.

I blew them up on Twitter, at first they told me to talk to ford credit and essentially they were going to penalize me and make me extend my lease so I can skip my March payment and just pay it in august of 2022. To which I’d have to pay 151.00 fee. Of course I said no and that I signed a 36 month lease not a 37 etc... so I’ve been in contact with a customer relations manager that works with my dealer and they are roughly saying once the repair is finished I can push and essentially fight ford to reimburse me my payments.
I have had prior Ford Vehicles in service and have gotten reimbursed with no hesitation.

Two months? What does Michigan lemon law say? Seems like you might be able to get Ford to take the car back.

Michigans Lemon Law is been serviced four the same problem for times or has been in for repairs for 30 consecutive days. So its been fixed once but it didnt solve the problem and wasnt returned to me. Which is where they ordered this engine knock sensor part. Heres my thinking, do I have a potential case granted that it will be sitting there for more than 30 days because a part is not available. I mean essentially I can say that its due to a lack of parts and that part may not solve the issue? ive had a couple other minor things fixed as well but nothing crazy.

I have had prior Ford Vehicles in service and have gotten reimbursed with no hesitation.
So I've been in contact with my customer relations manager that works with my dealer and she said she review my case once my repair has been finished. Is there a different route you took to get reimbursed? also my vehicle was in on January 29th, my payments are due the 9th of each month, in your opinion could i find a way to get February reimbursed as well?

Maybe the dealer can take the part off a vehicle on their lot and try to fix yours. Or maybe you don't want it fixed and just wait out the lemon law time. I'm guessing if you tell Ford you're planning to lemon the car as soon as the time is up they might find a way to make something happen quicker.

So I've been in contact with my customer relations manager that works with my dealer and she said she review my case once my repair has been finished. Is there a different route you took to get reimbursed? also my vehicle was in on January 29th, my payments are due the 9th of each month, in your opinion could i find a way to get February reimbursed as well?
Really all i did was complain to my Ford Rep and she just asked for a copy of what i pay and she then called the dealer and they sent me a check in about two weeks or so.

Mr./////// HERE IS A COPY OF THE REP REPLY.

Thank you for the information. You are welcome, and I’m glad I could be of assistance. I have sent the necessary information to the dealership and they will be cutting a check and mailing it to you for the vehicle payment reimbursement, in the amount of $367.34 as indicated on the screen shot you emailed me below. It could take 2-4 weeks for it to arrive at your residence.

We appreciate you being a loyal Ford customer.

Kind regards,

Maybe the dealer can take the part off a vehicle on their lot and try to fix yours. Or maybe you don't want it fixed and just wait out the lemon law time. I'm guessing if you tell Ford you're planning to lemon the car as soon as the time is up they might find a way to make something happen quicker.
i asked that route already and they said they couldn't. All my rep told me was she can escalate my case and see, and she said nothing can be done.

i asked that route already and they said they couldn't. All my rep told me was she can escalate my case and see, and she said nothing can be done.
Ask for here boss. Same she can escalate you can escalate. This is AMERICA....

@ryangski

If you have a Case # started by contact through the Ford 800# and you’re not getting anywhere with your current Regional Ford CSR - do this:

Call the 800# again, this time wait for an Operator (or select appropriate button for an Operator). When you get a Live Operator explain that you need to speak to a Ford Supervisor and will not accept anyone else.

When you get the Supervisor on the line - tell him/her that your current Regional CSR is lacking in Customer support and due to the situation with your new vehicle, you now are demanding a Ford Buy Back. Tell him/her that the vehicle you purchased (or leased) as a New Ford Customer has been at the Service Center in excess of 2-mos.

Tell them it is unacceptable and that as a New Ford Customer, you are thoroughly disgusted. Reference that by your State Lemon Law, the vehicle qualifies for Lemon Buy Back based on the fact that it has been held for 30-consecutive days, PERIOD.

Demand from the Supervisor that you want vehicle reimbursement for the months the car as been held by the Service Center; as YOU have been making payments on a vehicle that you have not been able to enjoy as a New Ford Owner and that you’re even sorry you purchased a Ford product.

IF the Supervisor isn’t reciprocative of your concerns, tell him/her:
1) You will retain counsel if needed
2) You will contact your local News Station’s Investigative Team regarding how you are being treated and the fact that they will not adhere to your State’s Lemon Law provisions.
3) You will hit up all of their Social Media accts and post how you’re being treated and how your new 2020 Explorer has been at the Service Center for 2+ mos now.

You can verse the above word by word if you wish - you will get traction and resolution.

You have to remain professional and polite, but stern and to the point that you ARE royally disgusted with the situation AND that you didn’t buy a brand new Ford to have it sit at a Service Center for months.

Now, they will still need to review the claim, BUT it should be approved and end up with Ford RAV division who is tasked with Buy Back procurements.

—-

Most 50-State Lemon Laws follow (with some variance), these two guidelines are most common for instant Lemon Buy Back qualifications:

1) Vehicle has been at a Service Center for 30-consecutive days OR 30 days within a calendar year. A vehicle at a shop that long is an INSTANT qualification - it does not matter if the vehicle is there for an initial Warranty repair or has been there now 2-3 times for same redundant repair.

2) Vehicle has been at Service Center for 3 or 4 times to repair initial Warranty claim. If the repair has not fixed the problem, there is no resolution to the repair, redundant efforts are in vain and the Customer is not satisfied with the “final” repair - the vehicle can be qualified a Lemon.

The biggest and most important Lemon Law fact is this (which again varies by State):

A Lemon Claim must be made either within 24 months of the purchase date OR within 24,000 miles (whichever comes first). Some States have a 12mo/12k mile limitation. If the Consumer is trying to make a claim after that provision within their State Lemon Law, good luck getting resolution because most claims will get denied and doesn’t matter how serious the issue may be, the deadline was missed.

Your situation would instantly qualify for Lemon Law Buy Back since it’s exceeded the 30 day provision.

The above isn’t BS.

As long as you have facts, work orders, any correspondence between you and Dealership (ie: emails, phone logs or voicemails) - you have enough proof to get Ford to honor a Buy Back with YOUR specific case.

I do recommend that you read up on your Home State’s Lemon Law. Make sure you’re reading from your Home State’s “.gov” DMV site or the .gov Attorney General site for actual Lemon Law info. Do NOT go to or rely upon 3rd party non-.gov sites, the are full of misinformation and are usually outdated. Your .gov site will retain the most current, factual and actual Lemon Law info.

Take care (been there, done that with my prior 2016 S550 Mustang).

Don’t back down, you need to be made whole.

So low and behold my car is finally returned to me. The part showed up a week early and they were able to finish my vehicle. They shut down my dealership due to an employee having all but confirmed Coronavirus, I managed to get it today.
Awaiting an answer from my regional customer support manager dealing with my case since I’m trying to get 2 months of car payments reimbursed.

attached below is all the work that had to be completed outside of my first oil change. FordPass also told me I received a software update to as well, anyone know the changes?

E2DC72B6-056B-4386-AECC-D65BD8D14B21.jpeg

For future reference, SSM 48689:

Attachments

• AE59E6C0-6210-4214-9C66-80770027336C.jpeg
    AE59E6C0-6210-4214-9C66-80770027336C.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 189

Thank you. It has been added to the Recall, TSB and SSM thread.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For future reference, SSM 48689:
Thank you that absolutely will come in handy, maybe this issue paved the way for that to come out. Just glad to have it back

Back