• Register Today It's free!

engine cuts off at idle

pete99ex

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xlt
today my 4.0 sohc kept cutting off at idle i would have to hold the pedal down to keep it running so i guess its a lack of gas getting to the engine well i pulled into a gas station and just on a hunch i filled the tank with mid grade its been running fine since then. i think that there might be a blockage in my fuel line and or filter. has anybody had a problem simiiar to this any suggestions would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

idle problems with our trucks are usually IAC problems -- but the change in grade of fuel shouldn't change the restriction in the line (if there is one). When was the fuel filter replaced? Usually fuel filter problems don't show until you are heavy on the gas and the pressure just isn't there. I would look into the IAC (idle air control valve) and possibly replace it.

-Drew

hey bro yah i had the same problem but mine was an intake leak so i guess you are lucky but kine only did it when it was running cold so maybe two different things

I had exactly the same problem, had to give the truck gas to keep it running. Dealer changed the IAC (about $130) and fixed the problem. I should have bought the part and done it myself (10 minute fix).

IAC = Idle Air Controller

Randy

hey thanks guys yeah after work tonight it was doing it again so i think im gonna have a look at this IAC thanks for all your time-pete

Back