engine flare after replacing vacuum modulator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine flare after replacing vacuum modulator

trozei123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4
Its been a while, but a quick update. After a while, I finally was able to replace my vacuum modulator on my 92 explorer. My transmission is no longer sucking up fluid. Yay! Now the issue is that during the 1-2 upshift, there is a small engine flare before it drops into second. The fluid is at the right level. What could the issue be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine did the -exact- same thing, then it stopped shifting into second on it's own a bit later. Ultimately, never got it figured out because I had a more urgent and vehicle killing problem. Anyway, try adjusting your kickdown cable. Super easy.

It's on the driver side of the firewall. Press the tab and pull toward the front of your truck gently (it doesn't move THAT much, so don't force anything). Get in with the engine OFF, press the gas to the floor. The click\ratchet sound means it's adjusted.

how much should i pull the cable? i have pulled it twice, stepped on the gas to adjust it, but the flare is still there. could there be something else?

i dont think its the governor. it never did this before i changed the modulator. only issue was that i was losing fluid through the engine. anytime i get to the 1-2 upshift, cold or warm engine, it always has the flare. same speed too. always at 20-25 mph.

Modulator is not an adjustable one. My Haynes manual doesn't have any advice on this fix.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on the A4LD, but some things to try are a band adjustment, and maybe a fluid and filter change. How long has it been since they were changed? Sorry I can't be more help.

did the modulator come with a new push pin?

As for the kickdown cable, pulling it once or twice is supposed to do it.

Reading some interesting points about the modulator. That pin is super easy to lose. Gotta make sure it made it in. I replaced the modulator in mine once, took some real effort to contort my hand like that and keep track of the pin at the same time. :p

Back