• Register Today It's free!

Engine keeps cutting out

Dan R

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Clara, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ranger 3L RWD
I have a very annoying problem. Engine starts up and runs well. Then after about 10 min starts to cut out. Either when moving when it hiccups and restarts or when idling when it can be immediately restarted. The Check Engine light flickers on and off (1993 model OBD I). The voltmeter flickers a bit. I have replaced the fuel pump inertia switch and PCM relay to no effect. I have the alternator voltage regulator on order. Grounds have been checked. Anything else I should be looking at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it stutter when you try and drive it

Carefully remove the ECM, take off the cover and look for leaking, swollen capacitors, and/or bad solder joints on the circuit board. These can be repaired.

You might want to double clean your MAF if you haven't already.
Good luck!

I cleaned the MAF, didn't look dirty. I did notice that one of the electrical connector pins was white with corrosion. Cleaned it up put Noalox on the pins and it runs as before. This is odd as the connector is sealed with a rubber gasket but the corrosion was obvious. Thanks guys!

Back