Engine Knock/Rattle - 2020 Explorer ST | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer ST
I purchased a 2020 Explorer ST with about 43k Miles last week. Its a CPO lease return. I drove it for 3 days maybe a little over 100 miles total. On the 4th day while driving on highway the engine started to make a knocking noise. I pulled off the highway to find a parking lot and noticed the noise get louder when accelerating. I turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes and when I restarted it had trouble but still started and the knocking was still present. No warning lights nor check engine lights are popping up. When I connect a monitor it says no codes found but if I select read codes I get a Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. Has anyone else had this issue before and or know what can cause it? If its serious I will most likely return it to dealer as I have 14 days/1000 miles to do so. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221022_162138_001.mp4
    1.3 MB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would let them put a new motor in it. Sounds like your dealer has been standing behind it well. And then I would consider buying a Ford extended warranty.
Or having them provide it for the hassle!!

Upvote 0

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

................................................. A 2 year old car should be reliable.
If that were the case, then there would hardly be anything to talk about in this forum. :)

Peter

Upvote 0

I would let them put a new motor in it. Sounds like your dealer has been standing behind it well. And then I would consider buying a Ford extended warranty.
Why? It has a 7yr/100k power train.

To the OP, I'd gladly take a brand new engine and keep it.

Upvote 0

It took me 7 weeks to get a new engine. Can you wait that long?

Upvote 0

My kid had a 2011 and had the same issue with her motor. She kept driving and seized the motor. Why.? The engineers designed the motor with the water pump inside. So when it leaks, the oil no longer lubricates and the motor grenades. Get your money back and buy a toyota. Even one with 200k miles is better than a new exploder
i promise you, it wont be a “new” engine. Expect a rebuild and it wont last nearly as long. Run as fast as you can

Upvote 0

I would be heading straight back to the dealer!! If they won't cover it, there should still be Powertrain warranty with Ford until 50,000m or maybe emissions warranty that would cover a possible bad coil pack.
absolutely if you do anything in the 14 days they will deny claim

Upvote 0

I purchased a 2020 Explorer ST with about 43k Miles last week. Its a CPO lease return. I drove it for 3 days maybe a little over 100 miles total. On the 4th day while driving on highway the engine started to make a knocking noise. I pulled off the highway to find a parking lot and noticed the noise get louder when accelerating. I turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes and when I restarted it had trouble but still started and the knocking was still present. No warning lights nor check engine lights are popping up. When I connect a monitor it says no codes found but if I select read codes I get a Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. Has anyone else had this issue before and or know what can cause it? If its serious I will most likely return it to dealer as I have 14 days/1000 miles to do so. Any help is appreciated.

Having had Fords since the 90's and having just sold my 2021 Explorer XLT with ST suspension upgrades...If it were me and your Ford dealer is willing to give you a loaner car...I'd say tell them to put the new engine in. It will come from Ford in Chicago and be what's loosely called a "Crate Engine". Ford will take out the old the old one and replace it with a new one at their facility. This is the only way they will warranty it. As long as your ST is in pristine condition it will be like having your heart replaced with a new one...under warranty. Looking at the ST's around here within 50 miles and under 45,000...the highest was $48k and the lowest was $43k. There seem to be quite a few under 20k miles ST's at what I would consider reasonable prices.
If you trust your dealer...I assume you did because you bought the ST from him, and as long as you get a loaner...I'd do it.

Upvote 0

I would return the car. You already had a "new" engine and it blew up before 50k miles. What did the dealer miss on the inspection before they sold it to you? They sold you a lemon and there's many laws in place to protect consumers in this situation. Take the money and run

Upvote 0

I would return the car. You already had a "new" engine and it blew up before 50k miles. What did the dealer miss on the inspection before they sold it to you? They sold you a lemon and there's many laws in place to protect consumers in this situation. Take the money and run
Lemon laws do not typically apply to used cars. The dealer and Ford aren't fighting him on this at all. Sh it happens, it's a machine!. If they give give a loaner while it's down, no big deal.

Upvote 0

My kid had a 2011 and had the same issue with her motor. She kept driving and seized the motor. Why.? The engineers designed the motor with the water pump inside. So when it leaks, the oil no longer lubricates and the motor grenades. Get your money back and buy a toyota. Even one with 200k miles is better than a new exploder
i promise you, it wont be a “new” engine. Expect a rebuild and it wont last nearly as long. Run as fast as you can
Completely different motor in the new Explorer. 2011 vs. 2021 are 2 entirely different vehicles. And it will be a new engine as Ford is covering it. And since you brought it up, I myself wouldn't own a Toyolet if you gave me one. I think they are garbage vehicles.

Upvote 0

Completely different motor in the new Explorer. 2011 vs. 2021 are 2 entirely different vehicles. And it will be a new engine as Ford is covering it. And since you brought it up, I myself wouldn't own a Toyolet if you gave me one. I think they are garbage vehicles.
I agree that it will be a new engine, not a rebuild. Also, I had 3 Toyota Highlanders and loved them. Great dependable vehicles.

Peter

Upvote 0

You should ask if it's a new short block or a complete new engine you'd be receiving. Then if you decide to take them up on their offer get everything they tell you in writing before you sign up. Then afterwards get a complete list of what was installed.
This information may also be helpful when it's time to trade in or sell the vehicle outright.

Upvote 0

Not my message!

Upvote 0

Run for the hills. Return the car. I don't have experience with this particular problem, but I can tell you that a 2-3 year old car with 43K miles shouldn't even have gone through its first set of plugs yet. Since you have the 10-day window, return it before it's too late. Sounds like more of a headache than its worth.

Upvote 0

If your getting a new engine keep it!!! Think about it, your literally almost getting a new car! I say keep it!
I disagree. It'll never be right. Give it back to them and keep looking.

Upvote 0

Sounds like valve train problem. Give it back to as fast as you can.

Upvote 0

Back