Engine Knock/Rattle - 2020 Explorer ST | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer ST
I purchased a 2020 Explorer ST with about 43k Miles last week. Its a CPO lease return. I drove it for 3 days maybe a little over 100 miles total. On the 4th day while driving on highway the engine started to make a knocking noise. I pulled off the highway to find a parking lot and noticed the noise get louder when accelerating. I turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes and when I restarted it had trouble but still started and the knocking was still present. No warning lights nor check engine lights are popping up. When I connect a monitor it says no codes found but if I select read codes I get a Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. Has anyone else had this issue before and or know what can cause it? If its serious I will most likely return it to dealer as I have 14 days/1000 miles to do so. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20221022_162138_001.mp4
    1.3 MB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased a 2020 Explorer ST with about 43k Miles last week. Its a CPO lease return. I drove it for 3 days maybe a little over 100 miles total. On the 4th day while driving on highway the engine started to make a knocking noise. I pulled off the highway to find a parking lot and noticed the noise get louder when accelerating. I turned the car off and waited about 5 minutes and when I restarted it had trouble but still started and the knocking was still present. No warning lights nor check engine lights are popping up. When I connect a monitor it says no codes found but if I select read codes I get a Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. Has anyone else had this issue before and or know what can cause it? If its serious I will most likely return it to dealer as I have 14 days/1000 miles to do so. Any help is appreciated.
I would be heading straight back to the dealer!! If they won't cover it, there should still be Powertrain warranty with Ford until 50,000m or maybe emissions warranty that would cover a possible bad coil pack.

Upvote 0

I would be heading straight back to the dealer!!
I had Ford Roadside send a towttruck to take it to the dealers service center waiting to hear back with what they find. Question would then be, should I let them repair it and keep it or return it and find another? 🤔

Upvote 0

You definitely need to take it to a dealer.

Upvote 0

I had Ford Roadside send a towttruck to take it to the dealers service center waiting to hear back with what they find. Question would then be, should I let them repair it and keep it or return it and find another? 🤔
It really depends how big the problem is.

Upvote 0

That video does not sound good!! Did you purchase from a Ford dealer or ?? Depending on what they say it is would be my deciding factor. If they take 2 weeks to fix, is your 14 day return period done with or will it start back up after you get it back?

Upvote 0

I would be heading straight back to the dealer!! If they won't cover it, there should still be Powertrain warranty with Ford until 50,000m or maybe emissions warranty that would cover a possible bad coil pack.
That video does not sound good!! Did you purchase from a Ford dealer or ?? Depending on what they say it is would be my deciding factor. If they take 2 weeks to fix, is your 14 day return period done with or will it start back up after you get it back?
Yeah It sure doesn't. It was disappointing hearing that noise especially after having it only a few days. I called the salesman directly and told him. I did buy the car at a Ford dealer and its Ford Gold Certified so repairs should be covered. It has a 14 day/1000 miles money back plus a 12 Month/12k Miles comprehensive warranty and the 7 Years/100k powertrain warranty. I'm calling them later to see if they even looked at it yet. Hoping they don't say it will be a while but I've been reading the threads and starting to get lose hope.

Upvote 0

It really depends how big the problem is.
Hoping its not too big of a problem but that sound isn't too reassuring. Even if they can fix it in a timely manner Idk how I feel about keeping a car thats already having issues. A 2 year old car should be reliable.

Upvote 0

I'd request a full refund and look for something else. That's an ominous knock.

Upvote 0

Agreed you need to give it back run Forrest run…

Upvote 0

Hoping its not too big of a problem but that sound isn't too reassuring. Even if they can fix it in a timely manner Idk how I feel about keeping a car thats already having issues. A 2 year old car should be reliable.
Sorry to hear that you're having issues with your ST. Hopefully you can return it and pick up another one! Take it easy bud.

Upvote 0

You have a rare opportunity that most don't have with a new to them vehicle, money back guarantee. Unless it is really something stupid simple to fix, I would tell them see ya or find me a new one. You know they are going to try to talk you into accepting repairs but I myself would not unless again, it is a stupid simple fix. Keep us all posted on the outcome

Upvote 0

Nope make a U turn and give it back. That's engine damage. If it was a lease I suspect someone never did an oil change to keep maintenance costs down since they didn't plan to keep it. But you should get rid of it. Sorry buddy.

Upvote 0

So I just heard back from the dealer. The engine is blown! They offered to replace it with a new engine which will have to be ordered and of course put on the car but they couldnt give me an estimated time smh 🤦. I'm sure it would be months since the service dept is already "backed up". Although it will be a new engine idk if I should trust it. I also have the option to return the car but I traded my old car in and put the equity into the explorer while they paid the remaining balance on my old loan so I'm not sure how that will work. They dont have anything else within the same price that I can get. Do yall think they would just give me check for the equity and my down payment so I can purchase elsewhere?

Upvote 0

So I just heard back from the dealer. The engine is blown! They offered to replace it with a new engine which will have to be ordered and of course put on the car but they couldnt give me an estimated time smh 🤦. I'm sure it would be months since the service dept is already "backed up". Although it will be a new engine idk if I should trust it. I also have the option to return the car but I traded my old car in and put the equity into the explorer while they paid the remaining balance on my old loan so I'm not sure how that will work. They dont have anything else within the same price that I can get. Do yall think they would just give me check for the equity and my down payment so I can purchase elsewhere?
If your getting a new engine keep it!!! Think about it, your literally almost getting a new car! I say keep it!

Upvote 0

Personally I would look through cargurus, carfax autos, KBB and other used car sites for a vehicle you like and ask the dealer how they want to handle getting you either the money to buy it or just getting the car. Your call on the vehicle and let them suggest the best way to buy it. If they don't like the options take the money if there is nothing in your agreement that says you can't. That will get you a vehicle within a few days. When I found my used 2020 Explorer at the local dealership, it took less than 3 hours from the time I agreed to buy it until it was in my Garage, insured and paid for. It could have taken less time but I had to drive back home to get my check book.

As an aside, my daughter had a 2021 Honda Pilot that ate an engine which the dealership replaced with no argument. The downside - it took over three months to get the new engine and install it.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

Would yall trust a new engine or just opt to return and or exchange?
If it is a new Ford engine, I would consider it if they are going to provide you a loaner until you get is back. Otherwise, I would ask how there moneyback guarantee works. Make sure you have all your figures straight with what you think is right and see what the paperwork says regarding return(fees, taxes, etc.) See what they come back with. Is it at Bean Ford? They have 5 ST's on the used lot, at least on website. You'd think they would work out something to help keep a customer happy.

Upvote 0

That would depend on how new the new engine is. If it's a brand new from Ford engine installed by someone worth their salt then I would be ok with waiting on a new engine and keep the car. If jo bobs dick shack in BFE is going to install one he found that's only new to you then I'd give a hard pass.

Upvote 0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back