engine noise when I shut off, and again when I move key to run | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

engine noise when I shut off, and again when I move key to run

PLAPELLO

Reaction score
City, State
Chicagoland, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 & 03 Explorer Sport
Hello everyone,

03 Sport 4.0 SOHC. (my better half's ride)

The engine was having a low/ rough idle issue, so I changed air filter, cleaned MAF and IAC. Since then the idle problem has not returned, but it has only been a few days. (I mention this as it may be related to my concern)

The other issue I noticed while diagnosing problem, was that the engine has a very faint, only noticeable when hood is open, tick coming from back of engine area (by firewall), sounds like passenger side. (again, may be related)

What my concern is:
1. When I turned the engine off, I heard a noise that almost sounded like a rush of air and then a clunk when the air sound stopped. It lasted only a second or less. I explained it as almost sounding like a cough, but the engine did not diesel or move at all.
2. Then, I immediately turned the ignition back to RUN and I heard the same clunk noise, but no rushing air. (along with the normal electrical item noises)
3. I turned key back to off, (nothing) and then back to Run (nothing). Turn engine back on, let it run a min., back off I heard the air and clunk, back to run and I heard the clunk.

So I am not sure what that clunk noise is, and is it possibly related to the faint tick I hear from the engine.

Thanks for any help on diagnosing this issue.
Phil

.. and I just thought of this.
Did I have the heat / vent on in the car when I was testing this stuff? I mean, seriously !!!! That would just be embarrassing, but I would welcome that over having some internal engine problem.

regarding the air and thump noise, heater/vent door is what immediately comes to my mind. don't know about the ticking.

Back