Engine Rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Rattle

be4orr

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
Hi guys. I get a little engine rattle under light acceleration. When I accelerate harder it goes away. 4.0 v6 with 335000km on it. Any thoughts ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How may RPM. Does it happen in park? Mine was between 900 and 1000 RPM. It turned out to be the cat. If its at higher RPM, like around 2000 and is worse under load it could be the cam chain tensioners.

broken exhaust hanger or band maybe.

Keep an eye on the heat shields on the cats too. they will rattle if the welds break. Unfortunately that wasn't my issue.

On a side note, if it is the cat, you can either cut and weld a new cat for 100 bucks per side each plus labour. You can buy a new y pipe from ford for a minimum of 1200 bucks (tasca price). I found a Warner Y pipe with 2 cats on amazon for $283 CAD shipped to the door. They also have a $50 cash rebate until the end of November. For under 250 bucks it didn't make any sense to cut and weld in new cats.

I did use the screw trick to quiet my rattle down until my parts get in. Seems to be working so far.

Back