Engine shuts off after I take my foot off the gas pedal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine shuts off after I take my foot off the gas pedal

SteelCav

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
First post here guys and gals. I have a 2000 XLT V6. Recently, every other time or so, I've had some problems starting my X. Sometimes it would take two or three cranks to get it going. Well, yesterday, it wouldn't get going if I took my foot off the gas. In fact, I had to keep my foot on the gas for about 10 miles until it finally could go on it's on. Pretty scary going down the highway when your engine goes, lemme tell you.

Anyway, I bought some fuel injector cleaner, but haven't thrown it in yet. Don't know if that's the problem or not. Anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?

Thanks a bunch. Love the site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe the IAC(Idle Air Control)...not letting the engine idle. Are you getting a Check engine light?

It might be the IAC, but I'm not sure, never had that problem.

Welcome!

I sounds like a fuel delivery problem. The problem most likely lies with your fuel filter, fuel pump, or fuel pressure regulator.

you know, I had this problem a few years ago.. ford told me my PCM needed reflashing.. and charged me a good bit to do it too. $250 I think but with all tihs talk about IACs, perhaps that was a problem.. and reflashing the PCM just compensated for the problem.. although I doubt it.

IAC=cheap fix from what I've heard, so if it has to be IAC or PCM.. hope its your IAC :p

My Explorer used to stall when I let my foot off the gas occasionally. Usually when I slowed for a turn. Mine was a bad IAC. It was most common if I had been on the gas for a while and totally let off.

Try disconnecting the battery a for 5 minutes and let it relearn the fuel trim. There are directions for this in your manual.

The IAC was the culprit on mine, but it only stalled the engine right at startup if my foot wasn't on the gas. A code scanner that can read real time data should be able to tell you if it’s the IAC. There also might be a code a generic scanner could pull.

I would also run a fuel system pressure check. I have had a fuel filter that was not overdue become clogged early and need replacement.

A professor of mine said that this couyld simply be a vaccum leak somehwre along the lines. An explorer came in with same problem, it stalled when it was stopped. He simply inspected the engine, by the way his check enginer light did not copme on, and found that a single vaccum hose was disconnected and that was the end of that. Hope it helps.

look here

Dead Link Removed

and here Dead Link Removed

Check the IAC. I had the exact same problem except I did not take a chance driving until I could take my foot off of the pedal and it would not die out. Anyway, I swapped out the IAC last weekend and have not had any idle problems since then.

Thanks for the replies

No check engine light. I'll check the IAC first, then work on the fuel pressure and will post back with what I find out. Thanks again!

Yep, it was the IAC.

Thanks everyone.

Steel, did you replace your IAC or take it to the dealer?

Back