Engine Skipping when Accelerating | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine Skipping when Accelerating

Thanks for hanging in here with me sedition!
It will be @ 2600rpm afteryou let off? BTW park brake is busted, guess that is just a safety thing right? No I re-read while I am holding the gas wide open it should only rev to 2600 right? I will try it in a bit, too dang cold to go out. Well for reference if it isn't at 2600 is that a torque conv. slipping? Stu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok done it. 1st time I done it it ran right at 2400 then I let it catch it's breath and hit it again. That time it was right on the 2500 mark. So now what? Torque Conv.? I hope not.
Stu

That stall speed seems about normal for cold temperatures.

Next I would probably inspect the air filter and replace the fuel filter.

Ok, the air filter is new the fuel filter is not. Back about a year and a half ago. I got a huge tank of crud in my gas. The place I got gas had a hose bust underground and put a bunch of water in my tank. I replaced it then but I am sure all the gunk hadn't been filtered out. So very possible it is stopped up. I hope that is all it is. I may try to put one on it tomorrow. I remember that thing was a pain in the butt! I will let you know.
Stu

Back about a year and a half ago. I got a huge tank of crud in my gas. The place I got gas had a hose bust underground and put a bunch of water in my tank. I replaced it then but I am sure all the gunk hadn't been filtered out. So very possible it is stopped up. I hope that is all it is. I may try to put one on it tomorrow. I remember that thing was a pain in the butt! I will let you know.
Stu

Yep, a tank of crud will do it every time. I'm amazed it took this long to clog up enough to give you problems again.

I got the filter a Puralator tonight and hopefully will get to put it on tomorrow. Man I dread that. Those things are a pain to deal with, just so tight up in there. I will keep you posted. Hope this does the trick.
Stu

New filters on, heres a pic of the gas that I poured out of the old one. Think it needed replaced?!
006-3.jpg

The thing was nasty. But it still seems like I feel the shutter in the vehicle but not as bad it seems. I need to drive it more. The 1st time I really got on it nothing smooth accell. to about 60mph but the next time felt a bit shuttery. What could it be if it gets worse as the motor gets warm? Just a thought.
Stu

HOLY HELL! That gas is so dirty.

I'd say that more crud from that dodgy gas station would be clogging your new filter as you drive along, but that is only a guess. If I was in your situation, now what I would do is drive my truck untill its almost outta gas then change the fuel filter again. This way most of the particulate matter that may still be in the tank with the fuel, will then be transfered to the filter, hopefully.

Once you empty the filter out into a container, like you did before, you will then know if the crud in your fuel is causing this problem.

You may have to change the fuel filter many times to finally be rid of your ever anoying stutter. Hopefully you will not have to pull the fuel tank and clean it out in that cold cold weather.

just a thought,,did you replace plugs etc with quality ford parts? Gap the plugs? Fuel does look nasty though.

I would rather clean the tank than put a bunch of filters on it. Those things are a pain to deal with. When I put the plugs in I used Motorcrafts. So I am not sure what to do.
Stu

I have been having the same kind of problems with my 02 xlt. Same kind of results after changing the fuel filter. Seemed to run much better for a couple of days and then got much worse. During the RPM test I can only get just over 2000. What does this mean? Only seems to do it after warming up and going up hills or trying to pass somebody (heavy load).

any further with this?

Back