• Register Today It's free!

Engine Squeal

Ozwild

Reaction score
City, State
Pearl Harbor, HI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I took my '00 explorer in for what i thought was a drive belt and after two diagnostics the mechanic determined that it was not the belt. the mechanic put a new tensioner pulley in, ran the diagnostic again, changed out the alternator, same problem, put the old alternator back in without the drive belt; there was still a squeal coming from somewhere else. they didn't know exactly what it was but knew it was coming from the engine (internally). i am getting ready to take it to the dealership but am worried about some serious problems. i was hoping that someone had some insight into some lesser or cheaper answers rather than new engine/new car possibilities. my explorer has only 83,400 miles and i was getting ready to change out the spark plugs and wires and seafoam the beast. PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS SOMETHING EASIER THAT GIVING INTO THIS PROBLEM!

Hi Oz,

Not sure what engine you have, but check the forum for posts about the camshaft position sensor. For a 5.0 it goes in the distributor hole and there is a bearing in there that squeals due to low lubrication and is evidently pretty common. It does not run off the drive belt and that is why I was thinking this could be your problem. A new part is not cheap ~$150 and it requires a special tool for installation, some just lubricate the bearing.

Hi Oz,

Not sure what engine you have, but check the forum for posts about the camshaft position sensor. For a 5.0 it goes in the distributor hole and there is a bearing in there that squeals due to low lubrication and is evidently pretty common. It does not run off the drive belt and that is why I was thinking this could be your problem. A new part is not cheap ~$150 and it requires a special tool for installation, some just lubricate the bearing.

150 bucks is cheap compared to a blown up engine, vacuum lines tend to make more of a whistle than a squeal but i still think you should check them out. what year and model is the truck? and is the squeal constant or only at start up?

I have a 4.0 liter V6 OHV XL. the noise comes and goes but is worst at startup. the mechanic thought it might be something with the timing chain. i really appreciate the ideas.

Back