• Register Today It's free!

ENGINE SQUEAL!

aubtc

Reaction score
City, State
FWB, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 AWD V8
My 96 AWD 5.0 has a bad whining sound coming from the engine at idle. I have changed both idler pulleys and tensioner pulleys which were whining in the past. The noise is coming from the area of the waterpump and after $100 for a new pump and a weekend of fun, the problem remains. It is definitely coming from the vicinity off the crank angle sensor located behind the water pump. The noise stays in sync with the motor and disappears at higher rpms and mimics the sound of a brake rotor on its last leg. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds to me like you have a glazed belt. There are products on the market that can be sprayed on the belts to repair the problem.
sailorman3

Only problem is, the sound is still there even with the belt removed, which rules out all accesories and belt related issues.

Just for the record...the problem I had turned out to be the crank angle position sensor shaft. The shaft was completely gummed up with trash and was causing that irritating squeal I was hearing. I simple removed the assembly form the motor and removed the thrust washer and drive gear from the shaft and chucked the shaft in a drill press. After remove the trash I applied some Mothers Gold Mag and Aluminum Polish to the shaft and brought the shaft to a chrome look with ease. Cleaned the shaft housing, reinstalled the thrust washer and gear and properly oiled everything. Reinstalled the shaft assembly and off I went. WARNING: make sure you remove the shaft sensor first and not the entire shaft assembly and mark the postion of the shaft in relation to the shaft housing and the housing relationship to the block before removing anything from the motor or your in line for a visit with one of Ford's special alignment tools to relocate the proper position.

aubtc.... With the belt off and the engine running was the sound something that would make you think the harmonic balancer or crank shaft that was suspect? My X started a similar noise this week and my first thought was the harmonic balancer and hopefully not worse. I am going to check the position sensor shaft to see if this is my problem as well... just wanted to see if yours sounded similar.

Thanks....
Brock

Back