Engine stalling and a Chirp from Down Under.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine stalling and a Chirp from Down Under..

IN2FORD

Reaction score
City, State
Cookeville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Bullitt
These two problems only happen when the outside temp is above 55 degrees.
Problem #1) I can be sitting at a stop light for a couple of minutes and the engine dies...just like someone shut it off. I have cleaned the IAC, recent tune up, Seafoam, and cleaned the MAS. Any other ideas?? Could the fuel pressure reg. be associated with this, or fuel pump, or a intermittently bad IAC...I am lost on this one. No check engine lights and it is setting no code.

Problem#2) Again when it is warm outside, I am getting a chirping sound from under neath the truck. It has something to do with something rotating. IT happens from 30mph to a stop. I have replaced the exculder seals, but it did not help. Now what....is it u-joints or .....

Give me some help if you can...this kind of stuff drives me nuts trying to figure it out!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Problem #1) I can be sitting at a stop light for a couple of minutes and the engine dies...just like someone shut it off." -- Are you certain there aren't any "gremlins" shutting it off? What I mean is -- any loose connections/bad wires/bad relays/bad fuse in the wiring through the ignition switch or through the EEC relay or through the fuel pump relay? I know tracing wires is tedious and irritating, and you have an intermittent fault, to boot. It's not going to be easy to fing, but I think that's what you're up against.

"Problem#2) Again when it is warm outside, I am getting a chirping sound from under neath the truck. " -- Do you have more info on the chirp? Consistent or erratic? Frequency varies with engine speed? Varies with vehicle speed? Can you tell from front or rear?

Problem #1) I wondered if it could be teh fuel pump relay. Honda Accord's use to have the same problem. The strange thing that during the winter, I have no problems with the engine stalling.

Problem #2) Chirping-I am not sure if it is coming from the front or rear, but definitely under neath the truck. As the truck slows from 30mph down to a stop, the chirp slows down the same amount. Sound does not change in volume, it just slows down with the truck. It does this in 2wd so I am assuming that it would not be the front drive shaft, but it could be the front half shafts. I guess it could be something with the rear drive shaft to. I am at a loss, I was just hoping that someone else had this same issue.

I have had a 'chirping' sound in my front end for quite some time. I took it to the dealership a few months ago and they replaced the 'axle dust seals' as they said the old seals do tend to make a 'chirping' sound. Not sure if that's your issue, but it sure sounds like what mine was/is! The replacement seemed to work for 6 months or so...but now intermittently I hear it again!

jordan23

I replaced those seals, and I still have the chirp. I was sure that was it, but I still have it. Any other ideas...it's driving me nuts!

Have you tested wheel bearings? Bushings? That's about all I can think of!!

jordan23

I have the same problem but it only happens once in a while. I heard it could be a u-joint that makes chirping. Mine also speeds up with engine speed

I have had the entire front end checked including bearings, seals and such and everything looks fine. I guess my next step is to check the u-joints. What is strange about it, is the chirp only happens when the outside temp gets above 55 or 60 degrees.

Yea, I had a worn bearing and it made an entirely different noise. It happens randomly for me in all temps about once every 2 weeks, lately. The last time it happened I put it in neutral, just to see if it would still do it, while moving at about 35mph and pushed the gas and it still made the noise and sped up with engine speed

Back