Engine stalls when put in DRIVE! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine stalls when put in DRIVE!

Norton

Reaction score
My '94 4WD XLT with OD/automatic tranny stalls immediately when put into DRIVE (or REVERSE). The engine starts and idles smoothly. The problem occured with very little warning ... one day it was absolutely fine and the next day it was driven 10 miles, shut off, started and driven another 2 miles when it suddenly ran very rough and then stalled as it was moving slowly (less than 10 MPH). After stalling, the engine was started and ran smoothly but stalled when put into DRIVE. This '94 just turned 100,000 miles.

Any advice will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Norton (edited 10-08-1999).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you start it cold in the morining does it idle smooth? Also, Do the RPM's increase when you turn on the AC at idle? You idle is controled by the AIC (Air Idle Control). This is that part that is bolted to the drivers side of your intake (just behind the butterfly). The AIC's job is to give you no-touch starting, keep the idle up, and increase idle when you turn on the AC. If it isn't working it will start/stall even in park when its cold (60 degree's is cold here in Tucson, Az). You will also notice that the idle doesn't change when you turn on the AC (Wait 3-5 seconds after you start it befor e you turn on the AC). If it looks like it is not working another test you can do is to remove the connector from the AIC when it is running. If the idle changes then the AIC is working.. If it doesn't change the AIC, connection to it or signal from the computer is bad. As an emergency fix you can remove the AIC (2 8mm or 10mm bolts and the wires) and then take it apart by removing the two screws. Once it apart clean it out very very well. I used Carb cleaner and Brake cleaner to clean mine out. Once I cleaned it out it started and idled (sp?) fine. This is only a temporary fix so you will still need to buy a new AIC which is <$100.

Good luck and let us know what you find out...

Mark

------------------
Mark
mark@legendz.com
http://mark.legendz.com
Off-Road and Motorcycle Information, Pictures and Movies

Try cleaning the mass air flow sensor(MAF) as well. I had the same simptoms and by cleaning the MAF with some carb cleaner the problem was gone. There is a link off the home page on how to do this.

------------------
93XLT-5.5" Super Runner, Super Runner Steering, 1.5" Body lift,33x12.5,
Borla exhaust,KKM filter

I had the exact same problem. The problem may lie in your transmission. When my tranny got too hot it would stick in gear. I would let it sit and cool for about ten minutes and it would be fine. If you are in a bind and need to go somewhere, rev it up and jam it into gear and you can get going. I don't recommend this all the time but hey. Get your transmission fixed but don't let them sell you a replacement. Definitely fixable.

torque convertor lockup

ok guys im new to this thread i need some help if you could
i got a 00 explorer 4.0 4x4 with 120,000 miles i recently bought.

my problem is when put in drive it will stall out violently but when put in reverse it will work, i got this truck to move in 4 low a few times after slamming it in drive with some rpms. I unpluged a few sensors on the tranny and got it to stall in reverse also. I just want to know how to determine if it is a sensor or if the tranmission is junk. i was told that the tcc could be the problem but im not really sure. when checking the sensor i could see i tested the transmission range sensor for continuity but only got one out of three to work (neutral) . i need some help already replaced my transfer case for no reason so anything would help

holy Jesus talk about digging up the dead

Mine was a solenoid... but can you elaborate on "violently?" What exactly happens? Thanks.

well pretty much you gota give it a lot of gas and slam it in drive i only can get it to acually move in 4x4 when it does get going its ok but when you get down to about 5 mph the whole truck will shutter very bad and if you stop it will stall.

but the truck will only move in 2x4 in reverse

I recall a vehicle that had the same issue, but that turned out to be worn out seals. I don't know if your vehicle has seals, you might know, but same thing... in order to get in gear, 4k or so rpm and then it slammed into gear. And worse, while you're waiting for a light to change green, hit the gas and the vehicle wouldn't move - and then suddenly grab into gear.

worn seals on what? it doesnt leak anything i am going to check the solenoid for the tcc and the mass air sensor what i really need is a code reader to tell me whats going on but no chance of that, the vechile isnt registered so ..

help

can some one tell me the function of the torque convertor soleniod and its location ???? any idea :(

engine stalls in drive

ok i got some codes off my truck i need some help guys
po708 trans. range sensor input high
po743 torque convertor circut malfuntion
po755 shift solenoid b, c , d malfunction

please help guys ..

No prob...

Solenoid, that's always a pain... let's check out those codes.

Good research!

can some one tell me the function of the torque convertor soleniod and its location ???? any idea :(

ok i got some codes off my truck i need some help guys
po708 trans. range sensor input high
po743 torque convertor circut malfuntion
po755 shift solenoid b, c , d malfunction

please help guys ..

a lotta research done... bump?:thumbsup:

change solenoid ?

should i change all solenoids going bad ijn the tranny ,
isnt that all the sensors in the tranny?

should i check relays i got 15 days to get this sucker on the road
thanks .

i cleared the codes got it to drive and got this code po320 ignition / dist engine speed input circut malfunction

help..

Anyone have advice here?

The problems appear to have been isolated, but :help::help:

isolated hmm my only idea is to replace the solenoids i took them out and tesed for a circut they were good and read pretty close on ohms..
i put them back in new fluid and filter and nothing same thing

thanks for your help .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We'll get an answer... it's a little tough right now because

so many people are off the boards and out of town. but they'll answer.:)

Back