Engine swap problem 4.0 OHV 95 into 97 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Engine swap problem 4.0 OHV 95 into 97

97SportinMn

Reaction score
City, State
Cottage Grove, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport OHV 5 spd.
Hi. I've searched everywhere but cant's find any answers for this problem, so I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I have a 97 Ex, 4.0 OHV, 5-speed manual. The engine failed, so I picked up a 95 Ex 4.0 OHV and swapped it in. I already dealt with the OBD I\II issues. The engine runs great. While we had the engine out, we put in a new 6-bolt flywheel and a complete clutch set with slave. The problem I have is the clutch won't completely disengage. We've bled it a dozen times with no luck. Put it up on a hoist, and it appears the slave is moving an inch or better when depressing the clutch pedal. Air in the system isn't the problem.

It seems that there is too much space between the pressure plate and the slave. Is there a spacer behind the 97 Ex flywheel when it's a manual? I've read that 95's didn't have one but 97's did.

Does anyone have any experience with the manual trans flywheel\spacer stuff?

Also, maybe one of you guys knows if the 5-speed manual is the same or different between the 95 and the 97 when they are both behind a 4.0 OHV? It seems like the bellhousing is too deep on the 97 trans when bolted to a 95 motor. I know that the crankshaft is different between the 95 and 97 motors.

Back